Dog jumping up, advice needed please

water in a bottle with a squirter top and squirt some water and say no this usually works
If you had done that to doberman we used to have it would have ripped ya hand off lol.

We have used the turning away, arms folded and it works with our dog, (everyone has to do it for it to be effective) but having people throw treats on the floor near her will help as well, as it focuses her attention to the floor when people come in. I find the hardest thing is when we are out and about as it is hard to command strangers on what to do!! If anyone has suggestions on that situation, please share!

We used to turn out backs, look up, fold arms for Molly (she is a collie x). Other people, every morning I put a small tub of tit bits by the doorway for them to throw at her. It took about 3 days, and suddenly she stopped it. She does still try it on now, but doesnt get away with it. As for strangers - I just say 'Ignore her please' and most do, its the odd idiot who comes along and is a 'I know better than you, I will touch your dog cause i'm a first class tit' that gets on my nerves, its rare you'll come across those types but just try telling people to ignore. If, you find it hard to tell strangers what to do (I dont, i'm gob on legs!) then try buying a harness - the type used for guide dogs when theyre being trained. People usually take notice and if it says 'training' on it, theyre less inclined to do anything, speak/touch her etc ;) Effectivly, you are training, so its not really a lie is it? :)

Forgot to put...

When people start ignoring her, and she doesnt react - praise her. Ive found cheese works, into tiny cubes - app; 5mmx5mm. Really small.

i havent met millie but knowing stuborn bull breeds i doubt very much that ignoring her will work lol. diamond used to claw half the skin off my arms and back while i was busy doing the "ignoring and turning away" routine and thought it was all great fun.

unfortunatly staffys are really giddy an full of energy and love to jump up and nibble fingers, i dont know many staffys that dont do that. my friends has a big dog that used to do it and he had different dog trainers come out to se him and only 1 was any good. it was the woman who used to be on dog borstal, she came out and sorted everything out, told him how sto stop everything and how to train him as he was a big problem. for the jumping at people, she told him to buy some spray bottles like what hair dressers have, and when hes about to jump at people she said to spray him with the water, and it worked for just about long enogh to stop him jumping, as he began to like been sprayed in the face ,but it stopped him from jumping. the other thing she said to do was get a pop bottle the small ones and fill it with small stones that makes noise when shaken, that worked a treat and still does now and its been about 3 years so maybe its worth a shot.

i just noticed pakyj put about the squirty bottle aswel, thats what the woman from dog borstal said to try and it worked with a staffy cross shar pie so its defo 1 to try.

Thankyou all for your advice

I will try the turning away technique, although it may be rather difficult to implement that with my daughter, as she fusses her and talks to her all the time. So I think we all need some rules, so Millie knows where she is with commands etc

I may do it when my daughter is at school, and get my daughter to do the sit and stay bit

Many thanks for the replies

Regards Nichola

I'm bringing this old thread

up because my son is having the same trouble with his Labrador. I will tell him to try the turning away technique as suggested earlier on the thread. I wonder if it worked for the above forummer ?