Owl's young player's

With the pressure managers are under now (people wanted him sacked after one game!!!) can you blame him for not trying out young players.

Hirst Jnr will not figure until he signs a contract.

I'm afraid this is the correct answer and, indeed, what is at the heart of the problem for England (the national team).

In the Netherlands first team players earn, 2 to 10 times as much as youngsters, much easier transition for the kids as the money doesn't really factor. Here the first team players earn 200-1000 times the academy fees.

Johan Cruyff always said, and I thoroughly believe this, if someones good enough than age doesn't matter.

At FC Groningen (my Dutch team) I saw a 16 year old Robben dance through Feyenoord's defense like it didn't exist, I saw Luis Suarez at 18/19 years old become top scorer with ease, Leandro Bacuna played with kids from the school where I worked - day in, day out. He debuted at 17.

Yet we have kids like Stobbs, Wildsmith, Hirst - they don't get a look in. The squad is too big to give these kids a chance. (Wildsmith admittedly is second goalie at least, and does feature).

Yet at 't odder side o taawn they are breaking in youngster after youngster. All go on to do well - I genuinely admire United for doing it right.

I'm afraid this is the correct answer and, indeed, what is at the heart of the problem for England (the national team).

In the Netherlands first team players earn, 2 to 10 times as much as youngsters, much easier transition for the kids as the money doesn't really factor. Here the first team players earn 200-1000 times the academy fees.

Johan Cruyff always said, and I thoroughly believe this, if someones good enough than age doesn't matter.

At FC Groningen (my Dutch team) I saw a 16 year old Robben dance through Feyenoord's defense like it didn't exist, I saw Luis Suarez at 18/19 years old become top scorer with ease, Leandro Bacuna played with kids from the school where I worked - day in, day out. He debuted at 17.

Yet we have kids like Stobbs, Wildsmith, Hirst - they don't get a look in. The squad is too big to give these kids a chance. (Wildsmith admittedly is second goalie at least, and does feature).

Yet at 't odder side o taawn they are breaking in youngster after youngster. All go on to do well - I genuinely admire United for doing it right.

Yes I agree with you. Matt Busby was a believer in that too, as in bringing young lads into the first team (from the juniors) as teenagers and proving themselves and later to be world class footballers: Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton and George Best-non of whom were born in Manchester- And as for Dutch football, well...their defenders.

With the pressure managers are under now (people wanted him sacked after one game!!!) can you blame him for not trying out young players.

Hirst Jnr will not figure until he signs a contract.

How long is left on his contract ? Any idea ?

How long is left on his contract ? Any idea ?

I think it's to the end of this season, I'm assuming the club has decided they'll exclude him until he signs an extension, they have offered to send him on a season long loan once he agrees to sign.

I think it's to the end of this season, I'm assuming the club has decided they'll exclude him until he signs an extension, they have offered to send him on a season long loan once he agrees to sign.

His value must be going down by the week with him not signing a contract ?

Seems like a bit of a Mexican stand off.

Think he just wants to get a move away ?

Who are we talking about here, Carlos or David Hirst ? I recall (on this site a few months ago) there was interest from Everton and Manchester City with cash money offers for Hirst, what happened to that ?

Edited by stpetre
Add

His value must be going down by the week with him not signing a contract ?

Seems like a bit of a Mexican stand off.

Think he just wants to get a move away ?

I don't think he wants away but we can't match anything like what a Prem club would offer in wages, he could have had his head turned.

---------- Post added 29-08-2017 at 19:42 ----------

Who are we talking about here, Carlos or David Hirst ? I recall (on this site a few months ago) there was interest from Everton and Manchester City with cash money offers, what happened to that ?

George Hirst actually, the club have so far resisted offers in the hope he will sign a contract extension.

'LEICESTER MAKE HIRST BID’

Leicester City have submitted a £2m bid for Sheffield Wednesday teenager George Hirst, according to the Daily Mirror.

Leeds are also reportedly interested in the England U20 star.