Stopping neighbour's cannabis smell

A friend of mine is having trouble with her neighbour.

He smokes cannabis possibly skunk it is very pungent in his bedroom from 7 -8 in the evening to the early hours. He smokes most nights but often not at the end of the month when his electricity and we suppose his drug money runs out.

The smell penetrates the walls and comes into my friends house the smell makes her feel ill and dizzy. She has tried sleeping downstairs ( why should she) but it makes little difference. She does not sleep well but wakes up feeling at best groggy on his smoking nights.

She can not have her grandchildren come and stay any more because of the smell and concern about them too becoming ill.

He has been asked not to smoke his cannabis in or near the house. He refused.

it is a terraced house about 40 years old the smell might be penetrating the wall in the loft and possibly through gaps between the wall and roof an around pipe work.

Despite cannabis use still being illegal in the UK the police say they can not act without evidence any number of people reporting the smell or the police themselves witnessing the smell is not evidence as obviously the smell could allegedly be coming from anywhere?

This junky is making my friend feel as though she has to move?

Can anyone please recommend a spray on sealer that might prevent this filth getting into my friends home?

We do need to stop the smell as legal prevention methods have failed.

How about calling crimstoppers often and reporting your suspicions? Keep reporting him to the police? Could even throw in that you suspect him of dealing, to get their attention?

I'm surprised the police won't act on this - if the smell is that bad he must have an awful lot of it.

I'm surprised the police won't act on this

The police have better things to do than chase around after some old granny who can smell cannabis.

The smell penetrates the walls and comes into my friends house the smell makes her feel ill and dizzy.

She does not sleep well but wakes up feeling at best groggy on his smoking nights.

Unless she's sat in the room with the man it sounds like most of her complaints are Psychosomatic.

it is a terraced house about 40 years old the smell might be penetrating the wall in the loft and possibly through gaps between the wall and roof an around pipe work.

Have you checked the loft??

You might have a shared loft-space, which would explain how the smell is able to pass through.

How about calling crimstoppers often and reporting your suspicions? Keep reporting him to the police? Could even throw in that you suspect him of dealing, to get their attention?

I'm surprised the police won't act on this - if the smell is that bad he must have an awful lot of it.

I used to smoke it and once had a knock on the door from plod. I didnt do it every day so luckily when the police turned up I had not smoked any. I fessed up, told him I didnt realise my neighbour could smell it (which is the truth) and told him it wouldnt be a problem any more and to pass on my apologies to whomever reported it. I haven't had a joint since

My feeling was that to the police its a very minor problem and their focus is on the growers and dealers. Once he had satisfied himself i was neither he went on his way.

If the house is council then that is where I would go to get the problem sorted, I dont have a problem with people smoking weed but I do have a problem with ignorant fools who dont give any consideration to those around them.

If you watched the police programme on BBC 1 last night you won't be surprised at the police not taking action. Some of the cases were closed with no arrests and these included people who had been viciously assaulted. I was very surprised at the way they even told people to speak to local businesses to see if they had captured the crimes on cctv.

If you watched the police programme on BBC 1 last night you won't be surprised at the police not taking action. Some of the cases were closed with no arrests and these included people who had been viciously assaulted.

Cuts, cuts and more cuts.

The police barely have the manpower to tackle the most serious of crimes these days, suspicious activity and/or low-level drug use doesn't even get a sniff in.

The police have better things to do than chase around after some old granny who can smell cannabis.

he woman is not an old granny the rest of your comments following that one

i already feel will be unworthy of reading..

when i first thought of asking for advice on here i knew ther would be some halfwits making stupid comments in lieu of useful advice

i think you will also find that the police are supposed to uphold the law and in this case an offence is being committed with no proper investigation being carried out. he should be arrested put on an asbo and held to be questioned until he reveals his source of supply and his vendors informed that he has passed on that information so that they may choose to not sell to him again

Unless she's sat in the room with the man it sounds like most of her complaints are Psychosomatic..

Having witnessed the problem myself and with others the problem is genuine. Besides why should anyone have to put up with any of their neighbours smells when the smell itself and the effects it causes are being created illegally

Have you checked the loft??

You might have a shared loft-space, which would explain how the smell is able to pass through.

of course i have checked the loft which is why I was asking for advice on how to seal it without it costing and arm and a leg

Cuts, cuts and more cuts.

The police barely have the manpower to tackle the most serious of crimes these days, suspicious activity and/or low-level drug use doesn't even get a sniff in.

Was a very enlightening programme, encouraging people to solve the problem by asking people/businesses if they can view their cctv to identify the perpetrators because the police haven't the manpower to do it is not right. What if they identify someone and then find them and take the law into their own hands and give them a good hiding. The Government have a lot to answer for, I think it is the Met that has lost 1500 offices due to cuts.

he woman is not an old granny the rest of your comments following that one

i already feel will be unworthy of reading..

when i first thought of asking for advice on here i knew ther would be some halfwits making stupid comments in lieu of useful advice

i think you will also find that the police are supposed to uphold the law and in this case an offence is being committed with no proper investigation being carried fout. he should be arrested put on an asbo and held to be questioned until he reveals his source of supply and his vendors informed that he has passed on that information so that they may choose to not sell to him again

Having witnessed the problem myself and with others the problem is genuine. Besides why should anyone have to put up with any of their neighbours smells when the smell itself and the effects it causes are being created illegally

of course i have checked the loft which is why I was asking for advice on how to seal it without it costing and arm and a leg

Seriously, good luck with that.

You could try getting him on to spice! That’s non pungent and will send him in to zombie mode. Win win all round.

I dont have a problem with people smoking weed but I do have a problem with ignorant fools who dont give any consideration to those around them.

lets be honest i dont care which idiot takes what drug as long they don't bother me and mine and preferably without being a burden on the NHS or social services when they get ill or when they develop psychological problems

and i do mean WHEN and not IF

Was a very enlightening programme, encouraging people to solve the problem by asking people/businesses if they can view their cctv to identify the perpetrators because the police haven't the manpower to do it is not right. What if they identify someone and then find them and take the law into their own hands and give them a good hiding. The Government have a lot to answer for, I think it is the Met that has lost 1500 offices due to cuts.

What they were telling folk was to make enquiries regarding cctv and if there is anything of a positive nature they would get an officer to attend.

it has been suggested that we get some celebrity police like those from police camera stop and the like. they seem quite happy to arrest and either prosecute or caution some young kid for having a matchhead size speck of cannabis in her pocket. whereas the the non-celebrity coppers wont do their job on some middle aged junky that is affecting his neighbours his animals and his own children.

all we really want is solution for stopping the smell or this jerk to move away for ever.