Gender Fluid etc, Opinions?

We could just let people use whichever set of facilities they feel is appropriate for them.

I spent last week in London, I noticed that a lot of bars and cafe's now have individual toilets that are basically a line of rooms with a toilet and sink in each one with no 'communal area'. All labelled as 'unisex' or 'gender neutral' with no traditional male or female toilet at all.

The drawback being you only get about four toilets as they take up more space than previously.

All these toilets have no gap under/over the walls or door so depending on your viewpoint they are safer or not as safe as a traditional cubicle.

Or just regular cubicles, most people don't want or need someone waiting in the bathroom with them for "safety" or any other reason.

equally i doubt most reasonable would object to someone waiting for another safety reasons. ie children, the infirm. etc

I really don't think i need to fully define that list for anyone

And as has just been mentioned .... there could of course be separate urinals where demand might be high enough.... stadiums etc come to mind. Though to be honest health reasons aside as the majority of events really only last at most 2-3 hours needing the toilet in that time is for the majority mostly poor personal management... ask sheffield council re their justification for reducing the number of public toilets available.

I spent last week in London, I noticed that a lot of bars and cafe's now have individual toilets that are basically a line of rooms with a toilet and sink in each one with no 'communal area'. All labelled as 'unisex' or 'gender neutral' with no traditional male or female toilet at all.

The drawback being you only get about four toilets as they take up more space than previously.

All these toilets have no gap under/over the walls or door so depending on your viewpoint they are safer or not as safe as a traditional cubicle.

I suppose the other drawback of just having cubicles is that you want people to be in and out of the cubicle quickly. There's other stuff that people get up to in the sink area, that would cause tailbacks if they have to do it in the cubicle itself. Before you ask, I'm thinking hair, makup, teeth brushing, putting contact lenses in, changing clothes, drying yourself off if you've got caught in a shower.......

The vast majority of those things could be done in a shared cleaning up space, not changing clothes, but hopefully that's fairly rare in public toilets! (I've changed shirts in them sometimes for various reasons, but it's infrequent and doesn't take long).

The vast majority of those things could be done in a shared cleaning up space, not changing clothes, but hopefully that's fairly rare in public toilets! (I've changed shirts in them sometimes for various reasons, but it's infrequent and doesn't take long).

Agreed (to an extent), but I was responding to the idea that we just have enclosed cubicles with sinks inside them and no shared sink area.

As for your comment, I wasn't just thinking about public loos. In our office, the sink area in the loos is the only place we have to get changed in, and it does get used quite a bit as by people who cycle in. Also handy if you're changing to go somewhere after work. I wouldn't really want this to be a mixed Ladies' and Gents' space.

Edited by Olive

You end up back with the same problem though, if someone at your workplace identifies as female, but was originally male they may find it very difficult to change in either facility!

You end up back with the same problem though, if someone at your workplace identifies as female, but was originally male they may find it very difficult to change in either facility!

I was thinking that!

But then we're back to the question of do you "fix" the problem for a tiny minority, which then leaves a huge number of people inconvenienced? It doesn't really stack up.

Yes, it is and hopefully it will be reassuring for biological women.

Bearing in mind of course that said ministers have not actually done anything yet.

Surely in true spirit of gender equality shouldn't men also be receiving the same guarantees?