Male Bladder Removal

My partner is due any day now for bladder removal due to cancer were both worried sick as he lives in Manchester ( Where the op will take place ) whilst i'm in Sheffield

He will move over here after the op for aftercare

My question is...Does anyone know what sort of aftercare is involved and can i leave him alone for a couple of hours each day ?

This is all mind boggling and were just looking for a bit of support via this site or somewhere else if there is anything out there ?

He's due to see a stoma nurse this afternoon which he's dreading, poor thing

Now it's just a waiting game as to when the op might be

Many thanks in advance

The operation is called cystectomy. He shouldn’t dread the visit from the stoma nurse - I am sure that he or she will be kind and helpful. The visit is to show him some of the appliances and discuss where the urostomy will be. He will hopefully be better prepared following this visit.

Before he leaves the hospital tell the staff where he will be staying because he will need to be referred to your community nursing team and the stoma nurse here in Sheffield. You could make a start yourself by asking at your surgery for all the relevant telephone numbers of a)the district nurses and b)the stoma nurses. The latter might be based at the Hallamshire or Northern General Hospital (or both). Give them a call then you won’t feel so alone with this and will have emergency contact telephone numbers.

You also need to contact Environmental Health for a yellow bag and collection of the urostomy bags.

All being well, you should be able to leave him for a couple of hours but obviously you will need to see how things go. Hopefully he will make a swift recovery.

Ask the stoma nurse about support groups and helplines. There will doubtless be some Facebook groups and check the Health Unlocked website. However, be discriminating with the FB groups in particular - some are better than others.

Many thanks for your'e reply and info