Sheffield Forum

Local Cricket Heroes down the years

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Sport & Activities

Reply To Topic

05-12-2008, 15:11   #1
Redfyre

Total Posts: 477
How about a few memories of some popular and outstanding local League cricketers down the years. Every club has had its share of notable players and great characters, and it would be good to get a few tales being told. Think of people like George Pope when he was at Sheffield United; Frank Melling, the old United captain; Ike Baxter, of Elsecar and Whitley Hall; Arnie Mellor, of Rawmarsh and Thorncliffe Rec.
I've also been trying to get a similar debate going on www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/sheffieldsport, but it seems all the cricketers have gone to Australia (or India) for the winter.
12-05-2015, 21:27   #2
jamesey

Total Posts: 1,327
my dad played for shiregreen cc from 70s into the 80s then frechville onto around 86
his name was jim myers.
my uncle played for shiregreen also (john myers) they both lived for cricket.
12-05-2015, 21:47   #3
Redfyre

Remember them both. Shiregreen was a great club in those days!
13-05-2015, 14:44   #4
truman

Total Posts: 19,074
My dad and most of my uncles played for Normanton Springs in the 40's and 50's
_______
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left...
13-05-2015, 14:58   #5
outdoors

Total Posts: 57
John & Jim Myers , remember them both from school. Both a bit quick with the deliveries
if I remember rightly, couple of nice lads as well.
17-07-2015, 07:59   #6
jamesey

Yes dad was a mean bowler.
22-07-2015, 12:09   #7
Frank1985

Total Posts: 228
Graham Burdett, Nick Cowan, John Cave, Steve Foster, Lesroy Weekes, Martin Wroe
15-02-2016, 16:27   #8
LBW0

Total Posts: 2
Jamesey

Old thread I know but I have a couple of cricket photos photos from when I played with Jim in representative cricket.

Not sure how I can get these to you though
17-02-2016, 10:30   #9
Voldy

Total Posts: 155
Hi LBW0, have a look at the thread (on the History & Expats section) "Completion of City Hall" post #8 by hillsbro on 15th Feb 2016 for one way of posting pictures accepted by this Forum.

You could also 'google' "Posting pictures on Forums" for more help.

My local playing days ended in the early 60's when veterans George Pope and Ike Baxter were still captaining league teams I played against. It seems to be difficult to stir up interest in Cricket threads as previous attempts have shown.

Hope this helps!
17-02-2016, 13:23   #10
LBW0

Total Posts: 2
Thanks

There is an old stump somewhere here that my dad kept as a memento after he broke it in half bowling out Ike Baxter.
16-10-2016, 09:41   #11
jamesey

thanks a lot that would be geat , ive pmed you mate , cheers
16-10-2016, 11:25   #12
Redfyre

Some very interesting comments on here since I last visited the page. Would be great to know exactly who the people are, and have the chance to hear of some incidents and particular memories. Many years ago, I had a league cricket column in the local morning paper, and it was quite popular. Still watching some local cricket, when the weather permits, and always sorry that the season seems always to be over almost as soon as it has begun!
16-10-2016, 11:56   #13
mediumfast

Total Posts: 1,297
And sadly very few places left to play it!

---------- Post added 16-10-2016 at 12:15 ----------

Anyhow years ago when I was a lot quicker in my first season I remember playing against if my memory serves me Co op cricket club at Bellhouse rd,In comes a wily old boy I think he was called Jack Green after a few quick deliveries my captain pulled me to one side and told me to go easy as "Jack doesn't wear a box" an over later he was at the bowlers end as I was walking back to my mark he pulled me up and politely said "nahh then son thee concentrate on thee bowling I've faced a lot quicker than you thall not scare me" my captain was <removed> himself as I stood with my hands in the air in resignation.
_______
I tend to believe that cricket is the
Greatest thing that God ever created
on earth...certainly greater than sex,
Although sex isn't too bad either.Harold Pinter

Last edited by nikki-red; 16-10-2016 at 16:53. Reason: Language
16-10-2016, 14:22   #14
spuggy

Total Posts: 31
Jack Green! He was the first bowler I faced in "adult" cricket as a spotty faced 15 year old playing for Frecheville 3rds, against Sheffield Co-op at Bellhouse Road.
Seem to remember he didn't wear batting gloves either ?
16-10-2016, 16:50   #15
mediumfast

One player I would class as a local cricket legend who I had the privilege of playing with for many years until he retired last season would be Dave Hague .He was a captains dream could always relied on to bowl twenty two overs(back when that was allowed)and never failed to getwickets a proper you miss,I hit bowler very powerful batsman when he got his eye in and fearless fielder.He must have given at least forty five years to Sheffield league cricket.Legend!!
_______
16-10-2016, 18:21   #16
jamesey

i used to go everywhere with my dad ( jim myers) cricketing around the area he played a match somewhere and as he was bowling a billy goat ran onto the field and chased him , ive got a local paper comic strip that someone had drawn up think it was bill naylor from frechville

Last edited by jamesey; 22-12-2016 at 18:05.
22-12-2016, 18:06   #17
jamesey

does anyone know what happened to any 80s players from shiregreen and frechville or anymore pics from that era
23-12-2016, 12:50   #18
ledgesjohn81

Total Posts: 11
Great thread this one and a few names spring to my mind from over the years playing for Dronfield Woodhouse CC.

John Bridgett a legend for this club on and off the pitch. His off spin down the slope at the “Rec” was incredible and used to have many a batsmen puzzled. I recall one game against in particular against Hathersage CC they had a opener who was scoring heavy (more slogs than strokes). However John came on and he didn’t have an answer getting him in his very first over.

Unsure if still playing be great if so.
26-12-2016, 21:03   #19
mediumfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledgesjohn81 View Post
Great thread this one and a few names spring to my mind from over the years playing for Dronfield Woodhouse CC.

John Bridgett a legend for this club on and off the pitch. His off spin down the slope at the “Rec” was incredible and used to have many a batsmen puzzled. I recall one game against in particular against Hathersage CC they had a opener who was scoring heavy (more slogs than strokes). However John came on and he didn’t have an answer getting him in his very first over.

Unsure if still playing be great if so.
Yeah he is I played a Sunday game for Dronfield last season and he took five wickets.
_______
27-12-2016, 10:32   #20
alba

Total Posts: 68
What about David Shutt/ George Shutt both played for city surveyors at weekends handsworth in the midweek league also played for Rotherham phoenix
Reply To Topic