Sheffield Pride 2010

Hi All,

It's that time of the year again. Plans are going well and looks to be such a good event enjoyed by all.

Here's a link to our website.

We have a facebook group and facebook page.

Here's one of our press releases.

Only a few months away, Sheffield Pride 2010 is shaping up nicely. This 2010 marks 40 years since the first ever gay pride marches took place in USA to celebrate the anniversary of the Stonewall riots. With this in mind, Sheffield Pride 2010 will be dedicated to ‘Pride over the ages’. The fabulous main stage will contain music and acts from across the last 40 years along with speeches and testimonials from individuals who have lived through the last 4 decades, celebrating the rights and freedoms we experience today due to the dedication and sacrifices that were made in the past.

‘We are very lucky in many ways to be as open as we are about our sexualities in today’s society. It’s a testament to all those individuals who worked hard at very difficult times throughout history to achieve their dream of equality. This year at Pride we would like to celebrate LGBT life everywhere and particularly give our thanks those unsung heroes, without whom life would be very different for us today.’

Sheffield Pride is once again working alongside national and local businesses and organisations in order to create a Pride event to rival all previous ones. In particular, Sheffield’s gay and gay friendly venues are running fundraising events in the run up to Sheffield Pride that’s taking place on Saturday 26th June 2010). More information can be found at http://www.sheffieldpride.org.uk

Sheffield Pride is excited to confirm details of our pre-pride event taking place in Sheffield City Centre on Saturday 29th May 2010, 11-4pm. Street karaoke will encourage the people of Sheffield to ‘Sing with Pride’ and will showcase the camp karaoke hits of the last 40 years. Visitors will receive a free goodie bag courtesy of Sheffield Pride 2010. The aim is to promote our event and give the citizens of Sheffield a taste of Pride in the hope they will visit us on the big day itself.

‘Karaoke is a fun and enjoyable way of highlighting Sheffield Pride and is important for letting everybody in Sheffield know about the event. Pride events have always been about visibility and so we want as many people from throughout Sheffield to notice us, come along, join in and ‘sing with Pride’ commented David Baker, PR and Communications Officer for Sheffield Pride

Also in the near future - The end of May will see the raising of a banner on Sheffield Town Hall celebrating lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered life in Sheffield with the slogan ‘Sheffield Supports Pride’. It will be the first time ever in Sheffield’s history.

Sheffield Pride is also joining up with Sheffield Showcase to create a visually exciting window display in Sheffield City Centre promoting the event and the organisations who support it.

‘The publicity organised to create awareness of Sheffield Pride 2010 has gone into over-drive. We haven’t got the budget to advertise everywhere but we do have the imagination to create interesting events and increase the visibility that was missing in previous years.’

We are always on the look out for something new. Please let me know if you have any ideas for stall holders/caterers/workshop providers etc etc

Will we be seeing you there this year?

Also, we are really excited to tell you that we've been meeting up with the LGBT bars and clubs in the city and we've finally been able to agree a way we can work together and move forward benefiting both Sheffield Pride and the venues themselves.

Sheffield Pride Afterparty Wristband!

Sheffield pride is one of the biggest live events aimed at the Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) community, their family and friends and is to take place on Saturday 26th of June at Endcliffe Park between 1 and 7pm!

To keep the revellers celebrating well into the night, The Sheffield Pride committee have gathered some of Sheffield's biggest LGBT and LGBT friendly venues to run Official Pride After Parties on the night! Affinity, Lions Lair, Penelope's, Sanctuary and Club Xes are throwing themselves into the Pride spirit this year with drinks offers and entertainment throughout the evening until the wee hours.

To make the pride night more flexible for everyone Sheffield pride are providing a Sheffield Pride wristband. Once purchased, this wristband will allow free entry into all the above gay venues (without the band, entry will be £5 per venue). The band allows flexibility and ease throughout the night and means you can visit all of your favourite venues whilst supporting Sheffield Pride.

'We're happy to be working with these venues on the night of pride to create something different and to provide variety for pride attendees! We try to cater for everyone and the Sheffield pride wristband is a great way to do this. There's going to be something different in all the venues so it'll be good to see it all! The venues themselves have been so supportive this year and we hope to carry this momentum forward for future Pride events, it's really important that we can all work together for the benefit of the community!'

Pride wristbands are priced at a very reasonable £7.50, saving a total of £17.50 in bar entry fees alone! Buy your band quickly from Affinity, Lions Lair, Sanctuary or Club Xes as there are only limited stocks available.

Facebook event here.

The previous two I went to were brilliant. I had a fabbo time! :D

Will the fantastic "Out Aloud" choir be performing again, at this year's event? They were wonderful to listen to last time!

All the best that this year's event will be at least as successful and enjoyable as the previous ones.

Thanks Plain Talker! Glad to hear you've supported us since our first event,

Yes the Choir will be there. Unfortunately we coincide with the Green Fair so they are playing there in the morning then coming to Pride later on.

missed last years event and so looking forward to this years Pride - seems loads going on. cant wait !

hopefully!

Totally different subject. I assume you were in the ATC? I was in 218 during the late 80's, how about you?

Thanks Plain Talker! Glad to hear you've supported us since our first event,

Yes the Choir will be there. Unfortunately we coincide with the Green Fair so they are playing there in the morning then coming to Pride later on.

It's great that the Choir are able to perform at both events, It would be a huge shame if they had ended up having to choose one event over the other.

I shall probably be poking around at the Green Fair in the morning too, before popping up the road to Pride.

I'm really looking forward to supporting the event again this year, I think it's a brilliant event!

*starts singing Lily Allen's song, which has a title I can't repeat on here, but suffice it to say, it translates as a message to Homophobes, which says

"go away *cough* and take your homophobia with you"

Totally different subject. I assume you were in the ATC? I was in 218 during the late 80's, how about you?

Hehe cool, i was in 367 until about 2005 i think. I've had the Username eversince i start of SF back in 2003.

It was such a good organisation offering flying/gliding and shooting etc. Would reccomend it to any teen.

I'm going to be there with my stall, Nanny May jewellery (search Nanny May on facebook) looking forward to the event tons, as I know it's always a very fun and colourful day, quite anticipating the choir too, hope I'm set up near it!

See you all there :D x

Our final press release! Hope to see many of you there on Saturday. Lets hope the weather holds!

Sheffield City Council Supports Sheffield Pride

Last month saw the raising of a banner above the town hall to show Sheffield Council support for Sheffield Pride 2010. The Sheffield Council has really got behind this years Sheffield Pride event which is to take place at Endcliffe Park on Saturday 26th June 2010. Continued support from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, South Yorkshire Police and Irwin Mitchells Solicitors is sure to make Sheffield’s third ever Pride event a massive success.

‘We are pleased that to have received the support of many organisations this year, which has been instrumental in the continued success of Sheffield Pride. We thank all involved for making Sheffield Pride 2010 as fabulous as it always is!’

Sheffield Pride 2010 is set to be the biggest pride event in the South Yorkshire area with organiser’s expecting upwards of 6,000 individuals to attend. The event will be officially opened by a senior member of Sheffield City council with a speech on the main stage at 1pm, followed by a selection of live acts throughout the day.

The leader of the council, Cllr Paul Scriven commented on the importance of Sheffield Pride, "Sheffield is a city that has a rich culture, a great vibe and a welcoming attitude. Celebrating our diversity is what makes this city stand out and the Council is delighted to yet again support the Pride Festival and embrace the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities and the contribution they make to Sheffield. The city puts on a great show which is enjoyed by so many people and visitors alike. I wish it all the best."

Sheffield Pride 2010 is about much more than a ‘party in the park’ but is about highlighting the prejudice and discrimination towards lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) individuals, couples and families face around the world. It is a great opportunity to create awareness and visibility for the often margianlised community. It is also an opportunity to celebrate the journey we have all travelled in order to become the tolerant, accepting and diverse society we are today. It’s a chance for today’s LGBT community to thank past ambassadors who battled to gain the rights and responsibilities we often take for granted but are able to enjoy nevertheless.

Sheffield Pride is a completely free and inclusive event, so please feel free to come along and enjoy the day!

I hope the weather stays nice for this, I'm really looking forward to it. I missed the first one because of being on holiday, but last year's was fantastic!