History of Attercliffe

I am Sheffield born and now live in the U.S. I have been trying to discover the origins of Attercliffe, Carbrook and Brightside. Does anyone know the meanings of the names?

Does anyone know the origin of the names Attercliffe, Carbrook and Brightside?

I think I read somewhere about this and It`s quite simple really, If you look down the valley at Attercliffe you see a "Cliff on the left where wincobank is, so It`s "at the cliffe" Carbrook is the name of a stram that has now gone, Brightside is the "Brightside of the valley" note where the sun rises.

Don`t quote me but I`m sure thats right.

Thanks for the info David.

As regards Brightside, I've read different views - one being that is the 'sunny side' of the valley as you mentioned; the second is that the area was named after a certain General Bright. I'm not quite sure what his contribution to society was yet...

I think Attercliffe comes from"otter cliffe", where the otters were seen frequently years ago

A quick google search for Brightside brings up the following:

1644 AD - English civil war. Sheffield Castle besieged and conquered by Parliamentary army, including John Bright of Carbrook Hall and Kelham Homer, the Town’s Armourer.

and

The Carbrook Hall Hotel, yet another pub on Attercliffe Common, is reputed to be the City's most haunted public house. Built in 1623 by the Bright family, it was Colonel John Bright of Cromwell's army who rode to York for help when Sheffield Castle was threatened by Royalists troops.

Attercliffe's Hilltop Chapel

How many people on their mad dash, to Meadowhall, realise they are passing within yards of one of Sheffields oldest buildings.

Built in 1629, funded mainly by John Bright of nearby Carbrook Hall. This would remain Attercliffe's sole Aglican church for the next two hundred years.

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v130/wharncliffe/attercliffe_023.jpg

The name Attercliffe is derived from the village at the cliff, the cliff in question being at the bend in the river don just below where christ church used to standin the Domesday survey it was written as Aterclive.

Carbrook is derived from saxon or celtic for a marshy or meadow stream, the carr brook ran behind the old pheasant Inn in the 18th century.

Brightside is derived from Briks ploughed land and is a very ancient village. In the time of henry VI the name was written as Brekesherth, for in a deed of that time Thomas De Furnival gave to the monks of Worksop 5 marks yearly from his mills at brekesherth. Also at this date, John Brekesherd was a plaintiff respecting lands in Sheffield, Kimberworth, Tinsley and Brinsford ( Brincliffe ). In another deed during the reign of Elizabeth I, Brightside was written as Brixard.

Thanks for the info pietro.

Originally posted by pietro

Attercliffe's Hilltop Chapel

How many people on their mad dash, to Meadowhall, realise they are passing within yards of one of Sheffields oldest buildings.

Oh I do, as mentioned in this post

I was in the area yesterday afternoon, so I went looking for the grave of Benjamin Huntsman - it's in quite a state, after 200 years of Sheffield weather :(