The "I am currently reading" thread

Just thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to what we are reading or we would recommend for our fellow forummers this year.

I am just about to start World Without End by Ken Follett.

Its over a thousand pages so it might be a while before I finish!

I've a stack of things to read from Christmas:

New book about Sylvia Plath's art, which I've noticed from a quick skim is full of errors, but oh well...

Letters of Ted Hughes.

Bill Bryson book on Shakespeare.

The latest Rupert The Bear annual - it doesn't have Raggety in it! :(

A big encyclopedia about His Dark Materials - and I plan to stock up on books about Philip Pullman while they're all still in print as old books about Tolkien are a swine to find.

I got the complete works of Shakespeare for Chrsitmas, I can't wait to get stck into that, it's the hugest book I've ever seen though, so it may take me a while to plough through it!

Got lots of other book or Christmas too (I'm a big reader) but I can't decide what to start first! Probably something light and not too deep:D

I was in the proces of re-reading Birdsong, but I've lent it to AO, so unusually, I don't have a book on the go at the moment, more of whatever I lay my hands on when I sit down on the sofa.

I'm almost through a biography of Katharine Hepburn, and I've got one of Peter Cook for when that's finished. I'm also reading Social Intelligence, the latest from psychologist Daniel Goleman.

I've just finished How To Photograph an Atomic Bomb by Peter Kuran, an interesting insight into the 17 years from 1945 to 1962 when atomic bombs were tested above ground.

I'm reading 'The Islamist' by Ed Husain at the moment. It covers the author's (a British Muslim) move into radical Islam and back again.

At times disturbing and completely fascinating, it should be required reading for those involved in domestic and international attempts to understand and tackle Islamic extremism.

I am reading " The Funniest Thing You Never Said" .It is the ultimate collection of humorous quotations by Rosemary Jarski.If you like a laugh, this is for you.:)

I've just finished reading Tony Parsons' "Stories we could tell." Discodown I've just read your thread about not going out, then read Muddycoffee's comment and thought how you'd probably both really like that book. It's way before any era i can claim as my own being set in the late seventies but it's about a night where three music journalists, all very different have an epiphany about where their life is going... I've really enjoyed it after a few false starts. Your comments on the music not being so good and things feeling different... read that. :)

I've just finished reading Tony Parsons' "Stories we could tell." Discodown I've just read your thread about not going out, then read Muddycoffee's comment and thought how you'd probably both really like that book. It's way before any era i can claim as my own being set in the late seventies but it's about a night where three music journalists, all very different have an epiphany about where their life is going... I've really enjoyed it after a few false starts. Your comments on the music not being so good and things feeling different... read that. :)
Will give it a whirl

"barry"

The Story of Barry Sheene"

Very entertaining so far with good photos as well.

Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine