R.I.P D J Fontana

Dominic Joseph Fontana, known as DJ, was born in 1931 in Shreveport, Louisiana. He began playing the drums for Elvis in 1954 and worked with The King until 1968.Fontana featured on the recording of a host of Presley's biggest hits including Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel and Jailhouse Rock. The Louisiana native also featured on Elvis' iconic appearances on the Ed Sullivan show. Fontana joined a band consisting of Scotty Moore on lead guitar, Bill Black on bass and Elvis Presley on rhythm guitar and vocals, originally calling themselves The Blue Moon Boys. The band was formed by record producer Sam Phillips and would go on to record many of The King’s top tunes. Although the band officially broke up in 1958 Fontana and Elvis continued working together throughout the 1960s.

Dominic Joseph Fontana, known as DJ, was born in 1931 in Shreveport, Louisiana. He began playing the drums for Elvis in 1954 and worked with The King until 1968.Fontana featured on the recording of a host of Presley's biggest hits including Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel and Jailhouse Rock. The Louisiana native also featured on Elvis' iconic appearances on the Ed Sullivan show. Fontana joined a band consisting of Scotty Moore on lead guitar, Bill Black on bass and Elvis Presley on rhythm guitar and vocals, originally calling themselves The Blue Moon Boys. The band was formed by record producer Sam Phillips and would go on to record many of The King’s top tunes. Although the band officially broke up in 1958 Fontana and Elvis continued working together throughout the 1960s.

Last of the 4 guys who started this little thing called Rock'n'Roll. Rest in Peace DJ, now that little band is all together again.

I’m a big fan of Elvis Presley but it wasn’t until after his death when I realised how talented he was. I didn’t know who DJ was until I clicked on to Mel’s link, the face is familiar, I’ve seen him on YouTube when I have listened to Elvis Presley’s music.

As Ontarion 1981 says the band and the King are reunited.

R.I.P