Problem with memory stick in Windows 10 PC.

I have a flash memory stick containing my files, which was written in Word 2013 and which could be loaded into my computer which ran on Windows 7. My new computer has Windows 10 and it refuses to read the memory stick. Can anyone tell me how to load this memory into my new computer's documents file please.

Have you tried a second USB stick, or any USB device?

Have you tried all the USB ports on the computer?

What error message or "bing bong" noise are you getting when you plug the stick in?

Did Windows 10 come with your computer or did you install it?

I'm still looking for the answers Alchresearch as I've only just bought this PC. I'll ask the person who sold the PC to me. I get no "bing bong" noises and the Windows 10 came with the PC. The PC is second hand. The error message was that there could be any one of four things wrong but when I looked up the suggested solutions it seemed so difficult to understand that I thought I'd ask this forum before trying them out. I haven't tried a second USB stick yet as I haven't got another stick to use yet. Working on it. I tried three USB ports and all gave the same result'. What I'm hoping for is a clear description of what this is all about.

Edited by woolyhead

Unless you try plugging another USB item into the ports to test them then it is hard to sort out as it could well be that the ports are faulty or disconnected. Do you use a USB mouse or keyboard? if so try plugging either into one of the other USB ports or simply plug the memory stick into a port the mouse or keyboard is in. That way you will know if the ports are working or not.

Could be the memory stick has died.

One of mine did but luckily I had also saved the data else where.

I just now plugged the mouse into the suspect USB socket and it worked as usual. Thanks for the idea. Dead stick? I'll try it in another PC. I take it that it doesn't matter that the stick's contents were written in Word 2013 on a Windows 7 or even a Vista OS (can't remember which) while I'm now using 10 and the Word from Office 365?

Edited by woolyhead

I just now plugged the mouse into the suspect USB socket and it worked as usual. Thanks for the idea. Dead stick? I'll try it in another PC. I take it that it doesn't matter that the stick's contents were written in Word 2013 on a Windows 7 OS while I'm now using 10 and the Word from Office 365?

no, you can open the stick like any other folder in my computer once windows has recognised it.

Dont you get any noise at all when you plug it in to a usb socket? that means windows has found "new hardware"

No. Melthebell I get no noise. That's because I'm using a screen that has no speakers. I'll try using headphones next. The error message I get is to use the text recovery converter or the open and repair. It also said the document may not have file permission. I don't know what that means or how to deal with it. But something else happened since I posted: one of the files on the USB stick did open in the normal way, only one file. Also all the file titles on stick are shown. NEW DATA: Yes when I plug the stick in I do get a musical sound from the PC on the headphones. Sorry for previous duff gen but I hadn't thought about my lack of speakers until you asked the question again.

Edited by woolyhead

Go to another computer, upload all the documents on the stick to Google Drive, wipe the memory stick, plug it into new computer and dowload all the documents from Google Drive onto the stick.

Google Drive gives you 15GB free so should be more than enough.

Does your new computer have the right software to open the files in question, just out of interest (e.g. if its a load of Microsoft Excel files, do you have Microsoft Excel?)

No. Melthebell I get no noise. That's because I'm using a screen that has no speakers. I'll try using headphones next. The error message I get is to use the text recovery converter or the open and repair. It also said the document may not have file permission. I don't know what that means or how to deal with it. But something else happened since I posted: one of the files on the USB stick did open in the normal way, only one file. Also all the file titles on stick are shown. NEW DATA: Yes when I plug the stick in I do get a musical sound from the PC on the headphones. Sorry for previous duff gen but I hadn't thought about my lack of speakers until you asked the question again.

ah so it is actually recognising the stick, thats good, you can see the files on it? thats good.

Im not used to using windows 10 too much as mines 7, and im not used to using office 365 as i use "open office" instead.

Emma Jones 76, I get a message saying that Word cannot open the files. Files were written in Word originally. I understand what you are suggesting and I can see it's a good idea. It would test whether the USB stick is still viable at least I think that's your idea, isn't it?

Edited by woolyhead

Do you still have your Windows 7 machine?