Figs on the Don.

Fascinated by stuff I have read about fig trees growing on the Don. Kept looking for them every weekend when we go for a walk down the river but wasn't sure what they look like. Found two last weekend - massive one at the bridge on Weeden Street and a little one next to the boulder with faces carved on it at the back of Meadowhall. I guess I am easily pleased but it is part of our history.

Even then I was interested in the great outside.

Edited by drolnhoj

There were certainly some higher up the Don on the stretch from Owlerton to Hillfoot Bridge.

We overlooked one from our office windows at Daniel Doncaster’s....now Doncaster’s Precision Forgings

There were certainly some higher up the Don on the stretch from Owlerton to Hillfoot Bridge.

We overlooked one from our office windows at Daniel Doncaster’s....now Doncaster’s Precision Forgings

These are on the stretch from attercliffe to meadowhall. Apparently they grew from seeds out of sewerage and prospered because of the warm water from the steel works.

There's an interesting article about the fig trees here.

Thanks. I have found a few articles similar to that. I just love the industrial part of the Don. See something different everytime we go for a walk. It might be fig trees, it might be bat boxes, it might be kingfishers, it might be different fish species, it may be phlegm art, it may be river art but the thing I really need to see is an otter. I know they are there.

Thanks for posting a very interesting read which pretty much confirms my memory of the Daniel Doncaster connection.

Thanks. I have found a few articles similar to that. I just love the industrial part of the Don. See something different everytime we go for a walk. It might be fig trees, it might be bat boxes, it might be kingfishers, it might be different fish species, it may be phlegm art, it may be river art but the thing I really need to see is an otter. I know they are there.
. I spotted a mink on the Don yesterday it was being attacked by a crow as it ran on the bank side.

Not had a fig biscuit for a long time. Can you still get them?

Not had a fig biscuit for a long time. Can you still get them?

I am sure Jack Fulton's will have some. They have plenty of old stock of everything.

Every time I look at the thread title I can't help thinking of that old Lindisfarne song "Fog On The Tyne":D

Every time I look at the thread title I can't help thinking of that old Lindisfarne song "Fog On The Tyne":D

Funny you should mention that because 45 years ago on a school biology trip to Northumberland, me and 3 mates had our picture taken in front of a guest house on Lindisfarne in the same pose as a picture on the inside cover of that LP.

Funny you should mention that because 45 years ago on a school biology trip to Northumberland, me and 3 mates had our picture taken in front of a guest house on Lindisfarne in the same pose as a picture on the inside cover of that LP.

One of several albums I left to my brother when I moved to Canada, was a double album by Lindisfarne called Magic In The Air, which was recorded live in Newcastle. I have never heard since, a live album with such audience fervour, which gave every song a ton of atmosphere, great stuff.