Bookshop on West Street

Can anyone remember the name of the quite largr bookshop on West Street? I Think it was maybe opposite where Nando's restaurant now is.

could it have been Andrews , don't think it was quite on west st

Was it Hartley Seed's bookshop?

In the 1970s Hartley Seed's bookshop was directly opposite where Nando's is now, on the corner of West Street and Orange Street. Here is a link to a "picturesheffield" photo.

could it have been Andrews , don't think it was quite on west st

I remember Andrews as an art shop more than a general book shop, on the little side street behind the City Hall.

I think they had the contract for all the art supplies for the local education centres at one time.

Yes, Andrews on Holly Lane began in c..1930 as printers, then by the 1960s they were booksellers & stationers, but by the 1990s they were selling mostly art equipment. This photo dated 1999 can't have been taken long before the business closed.

Yes, Andrews on Holly Lane began in c..1930 as printers, then by the 1960s they were booksellers & stationers, but by the 1990s they were selling mostly art equipment. This photo dated 1999 can't have been taken long before the business closed.

My dinner money often paid for my books there. I was an avid reader.

In the 1970s Hartley Seed's bookshop was directly opposite where Nando's is now, on the corner of West Street and Orange Street. Here is a link to a "picturesheffield" photo.

Even earlier than that Hartley Seed had a shop on Church Street at St. James Chambers. http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u02649&pos=1&action=zoom&id=37872

I used to go there as a child with my father to buy the latest Thomas The Tank Engine book by Rev. W. Awdry.

There was a book shop still open on south rd. Walkley in the nineties called if I remember right " Rare and Racy " in the shop window was the address of a town centre branch but cant remember were it was located.

Edited by choogling

Was it Hartley Seed's bookshop?

Yes definitely Hartley seed's. I bought my first road atlas from there.

I worked in that shop in 1966 long before it was Hartley Seeds,it was then Assosiated engineering sales, AES. we sold gaskets,oil/air filters,roller bearings, and pistons, we had a small engineering workshop in the basement, where we reconditioned pistons, some for Sheffield Transport.

I started as the bike lad, I had bike with a box on the front, and delivered parts to all the local engineering firms,I remember delivering to Beckett and Garner on union lane, and Robert Becketts on sidney street.