Former Owls player

Looking today at a team picture of Sheffield Wednesday from 1962. One of the players was Robin Hardy, a left sided midfielder I think, anyone remember or what happened to him ?

Interesting.....I was watching the Owls regular in 62. but can"t seem to recall Robin Hardy.

I can just remember him and I also think he has passed away last year

I think he was in my autograph book filed under players who didn't play very often. Tommy Horrobin was another and who can forget Roy Shiner's replacement, George Kirby? Just about everybody. :)

I think he was in my autograph book filed under players who didn't play very often. Tommy Horrobin was another and who can forget Roy Shiner's replacement, George Kirby? Just about everybody. :)

Thanks Jim, don't recall Tommy Horrobin, Brian Horrobin yes but he played for Nottingham Forest and Birmingham City. George Kirby ? him neither and I thought Roy Shiner's replacement might have been Keith Ellis but Ellis might have been too young then. I do recall (late 50's) goalie Charlie Pllu tho'.

I remember Robin stepping in when Tom McAnearney was injured. A reserve payer who didn't disappoint.

Made 30 odd appearances.

---------- Post added 17-06-2018 at 20:05 ----------

Kirby?

Was he a sweeper?;)

Kirby?

Was he a sweeper?;)

Centre forward from Everton. I think he cost £20k but only played three games.

Lol, just twigged your little joke.

Edited by Jim Hardie

I remember Robin stepping in when Tom McAnearney was injured. A reserve payer who didn't disappoint.

Made 30 odd appearances.

---------- Post added 17-06-2018 at 20:05 ----------

Kirby?

Was he a sweeper?;)[/quote

Yes FORE, he was a 'steady' player (as we called them then). If he stood in for Tom McAnearney then that would be the old number 4 shirt (right side midfield) as Tony Kay was number 6 on the left. Tony left for Everton in late 1962 and the 'wing halves' were made up of McAnearney, Gerry Young, John Quinn and a youthful Peter Eustace. I think Vic Buckingham was the manager by then as Catterick had left. During Catterick's and Buckingham's tenures, the Owls never finished lower than sixth in the old First division, imagine that now !

Edited by St Petre
add