The changing face of the high street

That's not wholly true, even nowadays.

sigh

ok

MOST people in most countries use the internet these days, you know exactly what i meant.

The point is, if a lot of these closures are due to the likes of online sales, are other countries high streets experiencing the same issues? or is it just us? if so its more to do with other issues.

Simply Be and Jacamo owner N Brown mulls closing all stores

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44479925

Not surprised. Sometimes moving from a successful online presence to a physical one doesn't always work. The stores near me are always empty - the Liverpool one of another big and tall brand is down a back alley and I only stumbled upon it by accident.

Simply Be and Jacamo owner N Brown mulls closing all stores

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44479925

Not surprised. Sometimes moving from a successful online presence to a physical one doesn't always work. The stores near me are always empty - the Liverpool one of another big and tall brand is down a back alley and I only stumbled upon it by accident.

who? never heard of em :suspect:

what i want to know is, are high streets in other countrys facing the same type of hardships? and if not...why not, WE ALL use the internet.

From my experience of France, there has been a similar trend to building big out of town shopping malls - but they have many more people still living in the centres of towns and cities so markets, cafes, bakers etc still thrive - although outside Paris can't think they have many department stores - or chains like Marks and Spencer, WH Smith etc . France attracts more tourists than any other country so this helps to keep high streets busy.

And yet, when I walk through the city centre it is teeming with people.

And yet, when I walk through the city centre it is teeming with people.

But are these teeming masses spending their brass in the shops, or just window shopping.

Angel1.

But are these teeming masses spending their brass in the shops, or just window shopping.

Angel1.

I usually pick up or return things in town shops we bought online. Shopping is a different experience from what it was when I was young.

Angel1.

I don't know, but I haven't really noticed much change in years. Nothing sudden that is,I think it's just been a gradual decline since about the 1980s.

Pity really, PoundWorld was alrite.

The founders must be fairly pleased they sold the business a few years ago.

City and town centres aren’t all about shops, you need people to use the shops, so what attracts people? Jobs in offices, banks/building societies comes to mind, along with the people who used to come into city and town centres to visit these endangered businesses. There are plenty of students in our centres, but they don’t have the spending power to support them, beggars, drunks and druggies dominating empty and filthy shop arcades don’t help, along with a severe police presence deficiency, this is why I haven’t visited the city centre in circa two years. :(