History of Attercliffe

can you remember the gunstand and rose hill we used toi go there to pick bluebells there was also a slack yard we used to get in big trouble going in there

i used to have a friend whose mum carol parks had the pub for a while and i used to sleep there i never saw anything

I was born in Brightside in the early 30s, and wondered most of my life how it could have possibly got that name. It was certainly less than bright when every mill chimney spewed soot all over it. But it was populated by wonderful people, many of them of the Taylor clan to which I belong. My father was the youngest of ten children all of whom lived in Brightside. They have sent their sons and daughters to every corner of the English speaking world for they knew no other language and cared less for any other.

Hi Buck, just read your post from 2007, I too am related to the Taylor clan of Attercliffe. My Grandmother was Elsie Taylor, Her Father William Taylor. I have put together the family tree if your interested and have some photos.

I think Attercliffe comes from"otter cliffe", where the otters were seen frequently years ago

Thats how i understood the name occured too.

Hi Buck, just read your post from 2007, I too am related to the Taylor clan of Attercliffe. My Grandmother was Elsie Taylor, Her Father William Taylor. I have put together the family tree if your interested and have some photos.

Hi Brades I to was from a Taylors in Atterciffe .My Grandmother was a Grayson and they had a tripe shop at 100 Attercliffe Common and she married a Taylor from the Cliffe.My mother was born above the shop in 1922 .I would be interested in looking at your family tree and see if i could get some info of it.May not be the same Taylors but you never know.

Hi, regarding the Taylors of Attercliffe, could you private message your email and the full names of your Grandparents please. I will then send the tree for you to look at

Ian

On 13/05/2004 at 14:35, Plain Talker said:

yes, abdul,

there was a lot of clearance around attercliffe, darnall, carbrook and brightside, from the late 60's through to the mid 70's

brightside and darnall went first, then the maltby street and banners vicinity (near doctor John worrall school) and that side of attercliffe, and in the early mid 70's the carbrook school side of attercliffe was razed.

This was the area my grandparents brought up my mother and her siblings. My grandpa's house was on Carltonville road, which ran parallell with terry street, one road either side of carbrook school. my grandpa's house was where the arena car-park is now.

most of the housing in that area was mid 19th century terraces (1840's to 1860/70's) built to house the steelworkers like my grandfather. most of it was very dilapidated, and had no indoor sanitation.

My grandpa's house had a big brown shallow pot sink in the offshot scullery-type kitchen, with a solitary tap, that came out of thh wall. the sink always smelled of old, stewed tea-leaves. I cannot smell tea to this day without memories of my grandpa being evoked.

I remember the missing floorboards under the oilcase (lino) on the back bedrom floor. i remember the view over grimy rooftops, to the massive sheds of the steelworks, beyond.

My aunt and uncle's first home was on fleet street, brightside. they didn't move very far from the area where my aunt was brought up.

Another aunt lived in a yard just round the back of Banners (on the "town" side) near a church or similar building which was a carpet shop in the late 60's early 70's just on the corner. (i think it was a shirland, but not Shirland Road. it stood back a ways at teh junction of two roads, behind banners..?)

PT

What number Carlton Ville road please. My great grandparents were at number 9 (Turners).