Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Or send them home to their flat just round the corner.

A lot of the street drinkers begging around West street live in the High rise flats in Upperthorpe and Netherthorpe .

I see them regularly as I live on Infirmary road and they come down to the Tesco and to the Polish grocers ( the east European beer can be very strong ) ,

They must like Tesco as they hang around the West street store as well , I wonder if they have a Clubcard ?

Closer than that! They have flats on Victoria street, just off West Street, and also on Rockingham court.

Closer than that! They have flats on Victoria street, just off West Street, and also on Rockingham court.

I don’t doubt it , no wonder the local resident association are upset .

I don’t agree with creating ghetto’s to house these people , but it must be annoying for the people who have paid a lot of money to live in an up and coming area and find they’re living on Skid row .

Its comlpetely out of hand it now seems and has gotten a lot worse in the last year or so ...

I avoid West Street and Division St and the WashingtonLower Moor area entirely at night now ... constant stream of (mainly male) homeless people approaching me for money many of whom are clearly addicts ....

So sad .. how can the Council promote a vibrate safe night time city economy with all this going on :-(

I don’t doubt it , no wonder the local resident association are upset .

I don’t agree with creating ghetto’s to house these people , but it must be annoying for the people who have paid a lot of money to live in an up and coming area and find they’re living on Skid row .

The homeless projects were there a good 20 years ago - well before the area was "up and coming".

The storey was lacking details it basicly says that they are going to spend £6 000 000.00 on 200 hundred people, so they get £30 000.00 each (nice).

Just leaves me wondering what they are going to do and how it will help, government money usually goes to the people who bullshizzell a great deal and help no-one but themselves.

Is this another one of those deals or are there real plans and is there a way to have some snake oil salesmans sprouts on the anvil should (s)he fails to deliver.

Why pay for it with 6m of our hard earned cash? Just stop their benefits and make it illegal to give money to them. If they want help the support services are there, if they dont... Well...

Why pay for it with 6m of our hard earned cash? Just stop their benefits and make it illegal to give money to them. If they want help the support services are there, if they dont... Well...

Actually in defence of them (please indulge me here) they dont claim benefits.

I suspect they get most of the money for booze and drugs from begging. As most of the spice heads are beggars. So what we need to do is stop giving money to people who beg. If people are homeless then by all means provide them with food clothing a drink and even a tent and sign post them to the many charities and services out there but if we stopped giving to beggars the problem would decrease rapidly.

Six million quid to help 200 people seems like a colossal waste of money.

Not that I would deny them help, but as that is 30 grand a head it doesn't seem like good value.

I fear 99% of the money will be pis**d up the wall and the 200 people that actually need it will get a few hot meals and a change of clothes.

Six million quid to help 200 people seems like a colossal waste of money.

Not that I would deny them help, but as that is 30 grand a head it doesn't seem like good value.

I fear 99% of the money will be pis**d up the wall and the 200 people that actually need it will get a few hot meals and a change of clothes.

If the money can be well spent I would reluctantly support it. However two things. Firstly why are we paying money out to people who clearly dont want to help themselves. Secondly the simpler solution would be to cut off their revenue stream (ie prevent people from giving them money). They would then be forced to engage with the existing services that are available. Yes people could say but what about the homeless who need the money. Well I'm not saying not give food, clothing a hot drink etc. Just dont give money. These people need tough love rather than people pandering to them saying they have "complex issues".

It seems whenever you hear "complex issues" it normally means they are on drugs or an alcoholic.