Fred Mulley Road

Driving near Attercliffe today I noticed a Fred Mulley Road who was Fred Mulley?

He was the MP for Sheffield in the 70`s

He is best remembered for falling asleep during the Queen's Jubilee Review of the Royal Air Force at RAF Finningley in 1977 when there was considerable noise around him. Having a small sleep during exercise was referred to by members of the RAF as having a "Fred Mulley". It was suggested in the satirical magazine Private Eye that Mulley was guilty of treason (then still a capital offence) for having slept with the Queen.

Tried to find a photo as I recall cutting one out all those years ago. Quite extraordinary given his company and occasion!

:hihi:Thanks for that,I often wondered who he was.Me and my mates use the saying"Who the <removed> Fred Mulley?"Now we Know.

Edited by nikki-red

He is best remembered for falling asleep during the Queen's Jubilee Review of the Royal Air Force at RAF Finningley in 1977 when there was considerable noise around him. Having a small sleep during exercise was referred to by members of the RAF as having a "Fred Mulley". It was suggested in the satirical magazine Private Eye that Mulley was guilty of treason (then still a capital offence) for having slept with the Queen.

Tried to find a photo as I recall cutting one out all those years ago. Quite extraordinary given his company and occasion!

There was also a song, to the hymn tune of 'The Church's One Foundation".

We are the Royal Air Force, we are the boys in blue,

There are not many of us and fewer aircraft too,

And when we go low flying the noise would wake the dead,

But it takes more than the Air Force to wake up sleepy Fred.

What a strange first post, bumping a random 9 year old thread.

As for the OP, I'm pretty sure we had Google in 2009!

Prompted by events. Don't worry about it.