Best Indian restaurant / curry house in Sheffield - Megathread

Yes slh73, you are right Shapla is down the bottom of the Moor. It is the one with no name further down that is now a peri chicken place. i am sure it began with S, but probably wrong. It was really nice. It's been shut a few years now. A bouncer from the pub next door said it was because of the new competition and the expense of the refit that closed it down. Such a shame, whenever i went in, it was always packed.

---------- Post added 01-05-2018 at 23:04 ----------

Yay, I have found it. It was called Sahib's!

I am extremely proud to see so many Sheffield natives enjoying and indulging in halal food that these Indian joints are supplying. I personally recommend Akhbars near Meadowhall.

Long may it continue :)

Thanks.

Two States was probably one of the worst I have eaten. I agree that the unit doesn't do well, it didn't as an Italian which was a shame because it was nice....

Has anyone been to The Front Room in Hillsborough?

Two States was great when it first opened, but went downhill rapidly. If you didn't visit in 2016 or very early 2017, you missed the best of it.

The Front Room is by far the best 'north Indian' in Sheffield. The lamb chops and the Hyderabadi biryanis are excellent.

It has. That unit is doomed as a restaurant location.

"..................,

Edited by steve68

It has probably been mentioned in this thread before but Ashoka on Ecclesall Road is really nice! It's quite small so definitely need to book ahead. The guy who owns it is a gent and the food is top notch and reasonably priced for an Indian.

I'm not a vegetarian but I love Indian veg dishes. Anyone recommend somewhere with a good range? Something more than tarka dal and saag aloo.

Maveli, on Glossop Road, for South Indian dishes. Good vegan options too.

Butlers Balti is nice for a restaurant, and we like New Everest at killamarsh for a takeaway, not sure if they have a restaurant as well

Two States was probably one of the worst I have eaten. I agree that the unit doesn't do well, it didn't as an Italian which was a shame because it was nice.

And another crazy optimist has taken over this site on Middlewood Road: "Mughals - Taste of authentic Indian food with fine dining area..." The menu looks to be all balti, tikka masala, dopiaza bog-standard (pun intended) stuff, so it might do better than Two States...

And another crazy optimist has taken over this site on Middlewood Road: "Mughals - Taste of authentic Indian food with fine dining area..." The menu looks to be all balti, tikka masala, dopiaza bog-standard (pun intended) stuff, so it might do better than Two States...

There was a really good place there that did traditional dishes about 4/5 years ago. Lasted about a year. I was gutted at the time as we had not long moved to the are and thought we'd found our local. Luckily the Front Room (when it re opens) has filled that gap.

Unless they do some amazing deals, with truly exceptional food and think of some way to promote/market the place then they have no chance. Will give them a try when it opens though.

Unless they do some amazing deals, with truly exceptional food and think of some way to promote/market the place then they have no chance. Will give them a try when it opens though.

Visited last night - we were the only two in. The food was OK. My chicken masalla (apna style) was actually pretty good, although a chicken tikka bhuna was blander. Mixed tandori platter was great value. I would give it a try before it disappears...