The Swallows Are Back!!

Just took my coffee cup to the kitchen sink looked out of the window to observe the arrival en masse of this years swallows,10 am on the button!.I always feel summer is here when they turn up,around our properties we have several huge trees which keep them supplied with insects which they zoom about all day catching!.They do say that they always come back to the same place every year after over a thousand mile flight from Africa,this I observed in the 80s building our house!.It was nearly finished and I had left the interior garage ceiling and door while last,a swallow nested inside so I left it alone and continued with the build elsewhere!.It was a year later before I got back to finish up and low and behold the swallow was back and settled!,I like to think it was the same one but maybe not,it makes a good story anyway!.

When I was young in the early 60's we lived on the edge of Rossington - a mining village near Doncaster for those who don't know it. In the back garden we had a large brick built construction with open windows (we called it an air raid shelter) and swallows nested in it for a number of years - always remember looking out for them returning, swooping low over the field at the back of the house. Funniest thing was always when they used to bring the young un's out - they used to sit on our washing line and chatter away - and it used to drive our dog mad.

Saw our first ones a couple of weeks ago - but that was in the Dordogne in France.

Edited by Longcol

Maybe they got the swallows on Amazon? Might have paid a ransome, though.

Old tup, we saw our first swallows of the year in Nottingham on Saturday last - maybe they arrive there a little earlier as it's that little bit further south? I agree it's lovely to see them again!

I saw some near Newark last weekend

Saw my 1st one April 21st funnily enough I saw my 1st one last year on the same date

This years was in Bakewell! Same thing when they leave in September you can tell they are ready to go when they all line up on the telephone wires

Edited by allwednesday

Seen 3 handsworth just now are they a bit late this year ?

And noticed just as it’s going dark we have a couple of bats not sure what type they are

The swifts are back too.

I remember as a kid every summer a pair, probably the same pair, of Swifts would nest in the eaves of our house... it was right above my bedroom window. With my nose up to the glass I'd watch as the Swift would swoop inches from my face up to the nest, I could even hear its claws as it moved about.

Its a shame that these days those eave cavities tend to be covered with fascia's.

Iv'e been wanting to see a starling murmuration for a while, Went to scarborough in feb, And boom there it was right over the harbour, Stunning

Saw my first swallows a couple of weeks ago in Selby. Saw a swift in Sheffield last week which I thought was on the early side for them.

I saw several swooping over the field next to Jordanthorpe Parkway, it's many years since I saw them a great thrill,