Where to buy pigs trotters

I never thought I'd be writing a post with that title, but here I am. I fancy having a go at making tonkotsu and it involves simmering pigs trotters for about 6 hours. Any suggestions where to get them?

Most butchers will get some in for you if you give them a bit of notice. You can buy them and freeze them before use.

Without the notice probably the wholesale butchers that process pork will have them, along with farm shops that have their own pigs.

Most butchers will get some in for you if you give them a bit of notice. You can buy them and freeze them before use.

Without the notice probably the wholesale butchers that process pork will have them, along with farm shops that have their own pigs.

I've seen them in Morrisons and the Moor market. There was a famous Pierre Kofmann recipe I heard of some while back but, other than that, I've never known what to really do with them although I've always found them intriguing. I did used to make trotter Scotch eggs some while back in a cafe I ran which were delicious (well, I thought they were).

I'm a massive Ramen fan and still eating those Nongshim Shin spicy noodles Alistair recommended some time back. I'd love to make a good pork stock but I've always deferred when I thought about the impact on my gas bill simmering pork bones for 6 hours or more!

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/stuffed-pigs-trotter-recipe

I've seen them in Morrisons and the Moor market. There was a famous Pierre Kofmann recipe I heard of some while back but, other than that, I've never known what to really do with them although I've always found them intriguing. I did used to make trotter Scotch eggs some while back in a cafe I ran which were delicious (well, I thought they were).

I'm a massive Ramen fan and still eating those Nongshim Shin spicy noodles Alistair recommended some time back. I'd love to make a good pork stock but I've always deferred when I thought about the impact on my gas bill simmering pork bones for 6 hours or more!

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/stuffed-pigs-trotter-recipe

The spicy noodles seem to have changed their ingredients recently, these days we prefer the kimchi ones.

This is the recipe I plan to follow some time when I've got several days to spare:

http://www.curiousnut.com/tonkotsu-ramen/

That's some serious prep but looks lip smackingly good. I suppose you could use pork hocks instead of trotters as they'd produce that gelatinous consistency for the broth.

I wonder if Sheffield has any good ramen places? I know there's some seriously good outlets in London, even chains. I remember having a bowl at Yama sushi which was good but nothing special.

Ippudo is a great chain, I've eaten in their London and New York branches and both were excellent. I also had a good bowl of ramen in a place called esushi in Glasgow. I'm not aware of anywhere decent in Sheffield but if you find one let me know!

Simmonites near the City hall have trotters...

Not a huge favourite of mine, but my 80-odd year old mum often hankers after pigs' trotters (and also pigs' tails). There's occasionally pigs' trotters on sale in Morrison's on Hillsborough - but they're pretty pathetic specimens - tiny little trotters in polystyrene trays, covered in clingfilm - all skin, gristle and bone ....no real meat on 'em at all.

The best pigs' trotters my mum has bought recently were from a butcher's stall in in the old-fashioned "market" bit at Crystal Peaks. He didn't have any trotters on display, but when she asked if he'd got any - he went out back and got her half a carrier bag full of plump, meaty trotters....and charged her a quid for the whole lot! She was in her element!

Edited by FIRETHORN1