Sick of bland wines

As i drift round the snoopermarkets and occassional visuts to a vintners and slide in a few bottles of booze, i find my optimistism seldom rewarded. The wines are these days predominantly drowned in one or more of the following flavours:

Cherry -nasty sweet notes. If i wanted i lollipop, i'd buy one!

Vanilla-sickly sweet notes. If i wanted ice cream, ...

Other- bland in the extreme

I dont smoke, so i guess my taste buds still function.

E.g

By sheer luck, in was in Ludl at Christmas and saw a wine there which i had not tried.

It was surpringly excellent.

Thats probably the 1st bottle of wine ive really enjoyed in years. It tasted of wood and books, characterful.

Ive reached the state where i can't be bothered to waste money and my liver drinking ever more bland wines.

Has any one else found the same?

I take your point , no point in wasting time and money on drinking "bland wines". What's a bit disappointing though is that you don't give the names of any wines in this thread. You say you had an excellent one in Lidl, but you give us no clue as to what it was, not even whether it was red or white!

I think if you knew a bit about wines you'd be providing a bit more information than this. And therefore I suspect that you are getting into bland territory with your wines because you're not really sure what you are ordering and drinking?

I put some suggestions on the other thread on here about "Strong Red Wine" - have a look at that and try some of those and tell us what you think?

The nice Lidl one was Fronsac.

As for non-mentioned ones, i,ve been tbrough many if not all of the red wines of Lidl and Sainsbury's standard ranges for French and Spanish wines. I also drink Chilean, S African and Portuguese from time as well Italian. Australian i find too sweet fromxs cherry notes. At least the ones on offer in the UK.

Whites most of the French and Spanish range, some of the Italian, some German from Lidl, Sainsburys, Aldi. Morrisons, waitrose.

I also now and them go to wine merchants and try a Montrachet, spending £30 for a wine whuch frankly turns no more characterful than a bottle Entre Deux Mars from Sainsburys. Thus has happened to more than once. Once in Beaune i had a beautiful bottle of Montrachet, it tasted like sunlight on a meadow. I also enjoyed Aligote which was a pleasant poor cousin, (mercifully one can occasionally see it in Sainsburys), a great Pomerol in a restaurant in Norwich (difficult to get in smarkets), most of which merlots are character free, a beautiful buttery Beaune from Waitrose in 1998. Subsequent trials from Waitrose and other smarkets have been cases of over cherried icecream tastes, not the lovely buttery silken taste of that 1998 Beaune.