Sheffield station needs a 'Tickets for today' queue.

They’re also in different cities. It doesn’t mean they can’t adopt the same idea.

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 17:32 ----------

This is one of my personal bug bears. There are many people, for many different reasons, who cannot/do not use the internet in the same way most of us do. They’re being increasingly isolated and disadvantaged by those who make the decisions and think nothing of running their lives online but don’t consider those who can’t.

And mine. Although I use a PC/tablet/phone quite happily, I'm aware there are lots of folk in my age group who have never been online.

I used to manage queues in a busy public sector building. Straightforward enquiries could be dealt with on the spot, more complex issues went into a queue. No brainer in terms of customer service.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

I put in a complaint about this very thing some time ago. I have had no response and I don't expect one.

it is not just on line but there are more and more things where it is necessary to have a mobile phone to participate/use. Numerous organisations make make a mobile phone number a compulsory field to fill in and without it will not accept the form or insist on the need to use SMS (I think that is the right word)

I am well aware that there are many advantages to having a mobile and yes I know I am a luddite but I simply do not wish to carry a phone around with me everywhere

No. The machines work with railcards, but the senior local discount varies across the country. Here it's half price with a valid bus/travel pass, some places include trains with other free transport. I've used the machines to buy and collect other tickets.

Only today I have tried and failed to buy a half price rail fare at an unmanned station at Darton from the machine as there is not a section for South Yorks Senior travel cards when I queried this they say buy a ticket from the conductor but a great deal of the time the conductor does not collect fares at all then there is at times ticket inspectors checking tickets as you get off at Meadowhall for instance.

If there is no machine or it is not working then you should board the train and buy it from the conductor. If the conductor does not appear then explain this to the inspectors.

If they do not believe you demand that they review the CCTV as many trains these days have CCTV on board and failing that make a formal complaint

Guest busdriver1
I travel quite often from Sheffield station. I am grateful for the half price train fares that those of us having a bus pass are entitled to when travelling locally.

Sorry, not entitled to. Its a voluntary concession by the rail operators and as such can be withdrawn at will. This was made clear when it was introduced.

Sorry, not entitled to. Its a voluntary concession by the rail operators and as such can be withdrawn at will. This was made clear when it was introduced.

OK I should have said that currently those of us with a senior bus pass are given a 50% discount as a concession when travelling on local trains. It used to be free, but that was withdrawn.

Many local authorities particularly PTE's, use the Transport Act 1985 to enhance ENCTS for older and disabled people living locally.

Historically PTE's set the rail fares in their territory and so have influence over the income of the rail franchise holder(s). The PTE's have always negotiated with the main local rail franchise holder eg Northern, to obtain appropriate/better levels of service and stock, ENCTS enhancements, cross border fares etc., in return for flexibility of fares and funding in various forms such as funding for station improvements and promotion etc., which increases the rail franchise holders income by driving up usage. PTE's attract and spend other sources of income such as European Development funds, the Rail Enhancement Fund from the Government and their own money on local rail.

Some of these 'deals' are long term and are renewed when a new rail franchise holder operates in South Yorkshire, and unlike the Senior Railcard they cannot "...withdrawn at will..." from agreements made. Government can force change e.g. the afternoon peak and they could force change in new franchises.

There are huge changes ahead as the Government is reducing from 324 travel concession authorities in England to several City Regions or even one Rail North.

The ENCTS Supertram agreement concession ends in 2021 and will need to be re negotiated.