Northern General TV

Exactly so.

Free wifi at the NGH for anyone wishing to use it.

---------- Post added 19-06-2018 at 16:04 ----------

Sorry - this made me choke on my coffee. What 'clutter' exactly ? Necessary wires and tubes to monitor and support the patient maybe ? :o

Unplug those damn infusion devices, I want to plug in my phone and tele :thumbsup:

in this day and age it cant be hard to at least have a tvs in day rooms ,

As for Care in NG The staff work there butts off and are short staffed on wards at times , nothing but respect for everyone of them

We can afford to provide TVs to prisoners for £1 a week so why not for hospital patients?

a) hospitals are primarily to provide healthcare and the average stay is less than a week.

b) prisoners are usually incarcerated for much longer periods and are entitled to some form of recreation given phones and Internet access are not allowed.

in this day and age it cant be hard to at least have a tvs in day rooms ,

As for Care in NG The staff work there butts off and are short staffed on wards at times , nothing but respect for everyone of them

In this day and age I would question why they would be needed.

People have smartphones, tablets, kindles, laptops these days. As others have said there is free wifi in the hospital.

Why would someone want to sit in some communal tv room when they can sit on their own ward in their own chair/bed watching what they want to watch exactly when they want to watch it.

I concede there might be a small number of the very elderly who are not in possesson of such technology but they are certainly not the majoirty these days. Smartphones have been mainstream for well over 10 years with the internet being mainstream for nearly 25 years.

Provision of a TV in every day room might seem a little trivial thing which bearly breaks the bank, but just like everything else involving mass organisations the costs soon rack up.

The outlay to purchase the sets, the depreciation and replacement costs, the TV licencing costs, the costs of maintaining and annual testing, the man hours to arrange purchase, install and control all these sets.... (x) the number of hospitals in the health authority (x) the number of authorities covering the entire NHS.

I would argue that precious NHS monies should not be spent on a facility that is fast becoming obsolete.

There is a fast growing generation of people who dont even watch so called "broadcast TV" in their own home from one week to the next. The chances of those types of patients sitting in a day room to watch broadcast television on a communal set are virtually none existent.

Edited by ECCOnoob

You can joke, but there's definately a worrying decline in care, and it's not to do with how hard the staff work. (I obviously can't go into details on a public site.)

Things are not as they should be, and that's nothing to do with TV.

Why can you not?

---------- Post added 20-06-2018 at 01:03 ----------

a) hospitals are primarily to provide healthcare and the average stay is less than a week.

b) prisoners are usually incarcerated for much longer periods and are entitled to some form of recreation given phones and Internet access are not allowed.

you really need to get real if you believe that.

Exactly so.

Free wifi at the NGH for anyone wishing to use it.

---------- Post added 19-06-2018 at 16:04 ----------

Sorry - this made me choke on my coffee. What 'clutter' exactly ? Necessary wires and tubes to monitor and support the patient maybe ? :o

Sorry, bad choice of words.

Sorry, bad choice of words.

Why so ?

Why so ?

Think she was saying HER words were a bad choice, not yours.

Recharging anything was another no go area. So much clutter, wires, tubes etc didn't leave much space for anything,

These words in particular.

I was sat in the x-ray department waiting area at the NGH on Friday morning at 11am and thought I would check out the free wifi. Connected straight away without have to give personal details. I did two speed tests on my phone and was very surprised with the results.

Test 1...99.6Mbps download and 111Mbps upload.

Test 2...97.9Mbps download and 75.2Mbps upload

In this day and age I would question why they would be needed.

People have smartphones, tablets, kindles, laptops these days. As others have said there is free wifi in the hospital.

Why would someone want to sit in some communal tv room when they can sit on their own ward in their own chair/bed watching what they want to watch exactly when they want to watch it.

I concede there might be a small number of the very elderly who are not in possesson of such technology but they are certainly not the majoirty these days. Smartphones have been mainstream for well over 10 years with the internet being mainstream for nearly 25 years.

Provision of a TV in every day room might seem a little trivial thing which bearly breaks the bank, but just like everything else involving mass organisations the costs soon rack up.

The outlay to purchase the sets, the depreciation and replacement costs, the TV licencing costs, the costs of maintaining and annual testing, the man hours to arrange purchase, install and control all these sets.... (x) the number of hospitals in the health authority (x) the number of authorities covering the entire NHS.

I would argue that precious NHS monies should not be spent on a facility that is fast becoming obsolete.

There is a fast growing generation of people who dont even watch so called "broadcast TV" in their own home from one week to the next. The chances of those types of patients sitting in a day room to watch broadcast television on a communal set are virtually none existent.

ive never been able to get any kind of good enough signal in northern to watch anything on a smart phone are tablet ect.... and been on a few wards over years

Ever heard of books? TV is so overrated.

The NGH provides free wifi.

The NHS's priority has to be health care. There is no spare cash to entertain the patients sadly.

Good heavens. We don't want to make the patients comfortable! They'd never want to go home! There'll be asking for decent grub and regularly cleaned toilets on the wards next!

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 02:23 ----------

Ever heard of books? TV is so overrated.

Unfortunately a fair number of patients are not physically or mentally in a position to read books, or to use the "free wifi".