Sign in to follow this  

Religious scholar decides God didn't create the earth

This story is quite interesting to me.

The article begins

Professor Ellen van Wolde, a respected Old Testament scholar and author, claims the first sentence of Genesis "in the beginning God created the Heaven and the Earth" is not a true translation of the Hebrew.

She claims she has carried out fresh textual analysis that suggests the writers of the great book never intended to suggest that God created the world -- and in fact the Earth was already there when he created humans and animals.

Religious people are often quick to ofter counter-intuitive explanations of apparently simple sections of their holy books in order to make them more palatable to modern readers, and often do so on the basis of their own amateur bible study.

Now it seems that a well respected theologian has decided that god didn't even create the earth - so it seems that the bible really can be made to mean anything.

I wonder what those Christians who oppose science as it cannot yet explain exactly where the earth came from make of this revelation?

I had read something on this, he seperated the earth from the firmament but didn't make either of them. The bible is an old book, frequently edited to attract new believers and people choose to take it to be the word of a god.

Some excellent debate on the subject of god and the big bang - Could something come from nothing? Here.