Anyone had misted double glazing repaired?

We have misted double glazing and I know you can get this fixed without replacing the window. Has anyone had this done succesfully and cost effectively? If so could you recommend someone?

Not had it done but got one that needs doing, I saw a van the other day that had Window Doctor on it, might be worth looking on here for any info. Would have thought most companies would do them though.

The sealed glass unit needs replacing (not the whole window frame). Most can be done easily by yourself and you can get cheap replacement units from Abbey Glass, Central Glass etc.

You need to know the size of the the unit, the thickness of glass used and whether toughened/safety glass or not.

We tried stripping the glass down to clean and re-use...... THis failed

THe misting on the inside had actually etched the glass.

We have misted double glazing and I know you can get this fixed without replacing the window. Has anyone had this done succesfully and cost effectively? If so could you recommend someone?

as far as i'm aware you have to get the glass bit replaced you can't get it repaired the frame obviously the frame stays put

Had our kitchen window done by a chap called Andy Furs very reasonable rates

When people say reasonable what is that? We have a couple which could do with doing too.

We tried stripping the glass down to clean and re-use...... THis failed

THe misting on the inside had actually etched the glass.

Can't have done, unless it was something like hydrofluoric acid! Are you sure that it wasn't crystallised silica gel on the glass? This stuff is always included in the spacer to adsorb any moisture at manufacture. It can be scraped off.

The sealed glass unit needs replacing (not the whole window frame). Most can be done easily by yourself and you can get cheap replacement units from Abbey Glass, Central Glass etc.

You need to know the size of the the unit, the thickness of glass used and whether toughened/safety glass or not.

It is easy to fit, and cheap. I got several panes made to size at a place on Eccleshall Road. I can't remember exactly how much, but I was amazed at how little they cost! The guy even threw in a selection of rubber blocks to rest the panes on in the frame.

Mind you, I wouldn't recommend lifting a very large and heavy pane up a slippery ladder!

Can't have done, unless it was something like hydrofluoric acid! Are you sure that it wasn't crystallised silica gel on the glass? This stuff is always included in the spacer to adsorb any moisture at manufacture. It can be scraped off.

Actually the misting on the inside can cause a phenomenon called bloom which will over time etch the glass to form little pits (glass is pretty much resistant to acids - except hydrofluoric - but can be attacked quite significantly by alkalis which the mist inside the frame will become due to mobile sodium ions on the glass surface :D) So Im afraid that yes it can - over time misting is likely to cause significant pitting in the glass surface.

We too had a misted panel which we had refitted but it was some time ago and I cant remember the company we used unfortunately.

We have had this problem twice, and the original fitters of the windows replaced the sealed units for us. It was well out of the guarantee period, so we had to pay, but cant remember how much.

Looks like the kitchen window is going the same way too!