Meadowhall Retail Park car parking megathread

The other week my friend went to toys r us and parked in the car park (which he assumed was free) at around 8pm. The car park was practically empty.

He then went to the cinema with his daughter, came back to the car and drove off.

Today he has received a fine (with photographic evidence) showing that he stayed for 3 hours and 8 mins. Apparently you are only allowed to park here for 3 hours free of charge. For staying 8 mins longer than he should he has been fined £95 or £75 if he pays it within 7 days.

This is not council run but a company based down south.

My friend is not an idiot and he always accepts personally responsibility for his actions, but what he would like to know is that is the signage explaining this 3 hour limit plainly on display because he can’t remember seeing any?

Also, he has searched on the internet and a lot of people have complained about this company because everybody seems to be fined for being exactly 8 mins over due. But then again this just be co-incidence.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

There is a sign on the wall outside aldi at the retail park meadowhall about this,i am guilty of this i parked and went on the tram to town, luckily it was shorter than three hours didnt see the sign until a couple of weeks after.

I've never seen a sign with a time limit on in that car park :confused:

We always park there for the cinema when the cinema car park is full, like a lot of others do. Maybe that's why they're fining?

Everyone being exactly 8mins late does sound a bit fishy...

Sorry I can't be of any help, but hope you get it sorted out :)

There is a sign on the wall outside aldi at the retail park meadowhall about this,i am guilty of this i parked and went on the tram to town, luckily it was shorter than three hours didnt see the sign until a couple of weeks after.

Ah, I stand corrected :)

We better stop parking there for the cinema then.

I've seen at least 2 of the signs regarding the 3 hour stay....i guess M'hall got fedup of people using the car park as a park and ride then going on the tram or people going to the centertainment. Because it's a private land they can charge what they like!!!

Clearly your friend had multiple visits to the shops that day and they simply snapped the first and last movements in order to make money. In such circumstances I would let them take me to court and prove their case.

I would look further into this as I am sure there are legal precidents about private car parks and that they can't force you to pay..

Not 100% sure tho.

Mm i regularly park in the retail park and often go the cinema and have something to eat as well and i bet that takes me over the three hours. Thanks for the warning if nothing else.

It looks like the whole of Valley centertainment are going to start cracking down. My friend and i parked there to go into town on the tram the other day and we did park at the rear of the cinema. However notices have gone up that once it's over 250(?) spaces you will not be able to park. Another guy came from the front of the cinema and the lady spoke over the monitor that parking was to the rear of the cinema only.

How will this be policed? Often i do this as I am going to go to the cinema afterwards so my entire day might be a couple of hours in town followed by a couple of hours at the cinema and then maybe a further hour and a half eating. As a cinema card holder, I don't want to be making my day more tiresome by having to park elsewhere first. I understand there are some people that take the michael but what if you can prove you've used the car park for at least some of the time for the cinema. Like supermarket car parks, they usually give you an hour or so to go to other places so will this work in a similar way. Likewise i might go to a gig at the arena having been to the cinema and for a meal first if it's a weekend thing....

Private parking 'fines' are unenforceable. They depend on the law of contract, and for a contract to be binding both parties must understand and agree to the terms.

Private parking 'fines' are unenforceable. They depend on the law of contract, and for a contract to be binding both parties must understand and agree to the terms.

Parking in a designated parking space infers acceptance of the laws in place.

Ignorance is not a defence.

I think they should be clamped - then let's see them worm out of paying for infringing the rules and regulations.Especially the ones who park and walk past the signs saying NO Arena parking as they wait to cross over the road.

Hmmm the police will be going round next, like the car parks here.