Should the council use private company to fine people dropping litter?

Should the council use a company to fine people dropping litter?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should the council use a company to fine people dropping litter?

• The council should use a company to fine people dropping litter
    • The council should not use a company to fine people dropping litter

Rotherham have employed a private company to prosecute people dropping litter and fines have gone up from three hundred in 3 years to four thousand this year. Drop litter you get an 80 quid fine. This includes fly tipping and dog mess.

I am usually against this sort of thing but in this instance I am all for it. Bloody scrubbers dropping litter, the city is a mess.

Should Sheffield adopt this strategy?

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

They should employ a private company to deal with irresponsible dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs, as they are obviously having very little success in this field.

Why do they need a private company to do this? Other council's seem to manage this themselves. I know someone who got a fine from Louth Council for dropping a cig butt at the side of his car - they got his reg number from a camera and sent him a fine. Why can't Sheffield manage such things?

i think you should always use bins

Yes, obviously, but it isn't happening is it.

They should employ a private company to deal with irresponsible dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs, as they are obviously having very little success in this field.

Why do they need a private company to do this? Other council's seem to manage this themselves. I know someone who got a fine from Louth Council for dropping a cig butt at the side of his car - they got his reg number from a camera and sent him a fine. Why can't Sheffield manage such things?

Added to the post. It is litter, fly tipping and animal waste they can fine you for.

Sheffield does do it but they don't have the man power. Rotherham only managed 300 fines in 3 years before this company was brought in.

why pay a company to make a profit dong something that they can just employ people themselves to do?

Say no more :thumbsup:

why pay a company to make a profit dong something that they can just employ people themselves to do?

Because just like every other outsourced service a private company can run it for a hell of a lot cheaper than it would be to employ directly.

Whenever you are talking about taxpayer money its always about the bottom line.

Yes I think it's a good idea.

Private companies manage their business much better than the council ever seems to manage their business.

I recently challenged a young lady for throwing her cigarette butt out of the window. She said she always did it and didn't seem to realise it was littering. So it sounds like some education / advertising is needed to pre-warn people of the fines.

So it sounds like some education / advertising is needed to pre-warn people of the fines.
I could design the posters with the quote ' don't throw yer crap outta the window, you irresponsible twit '

I'm not a fan of people who drop litter. I think they should fine people who ' spit ' too.

We have a government ideologically committed to the destruction of the public sector particularly because it tends to be a stronghold for Unions which fight for workers rights, that government is supported by a very loud and ignorant section of society who actually complain constantly about council workers because they appear to get better terms and conditions at work than they themselves do.

Its easier to exploit, drive down the wages of, and destroy the terms and conditions of non-unionised workers than the unionised public sector so it is seen as cheaper.

Plus, it gives the politicians some insulation from the criticisms of heavy handed tactics that will be seen as victimising poor people when someones nannan inevitably drops a tissue out of their pocket and somehow ends up going to court and racking up three grand in costs.

Rotherham have employed a private company to prosecute people dropping litter and fines have gone up from three hundred in 3 years to four thousand this year. Drop litter you get an 80 quid fine. This includes fly tipping and dog mess.

I am usually against this sort of thing but in this instance I am all for it. Bloody scrubbers dropping litter, the city is a mess.

Should Sheffield adopt this strategy?

So long as the contract is worded well and the council retain oversight.

It's easy for a performance driven contract to be set up, it's harder to ensure that the company don't abuse it.

For example, someone was fined for dropping walnut shell on the floor. This is unreasonable, it's organic and incidental.

On the other hand I don't suppose you want entire banana skins dropping on the floor in the city centre.

---------- Post added 13-12-2017 at 08:58 ----------

Added to the post. It is litter, fly tipping and animal waste they can fine you for.

Sheffield does do it but they don't have the man power. Rotherham only managed 300 fines in 3 years before this company was brought in.

If there's a profit for a private company though, then the council could hire the people, issue the fines (which more than cover the costs of the people) and invest the 'profit' in running better council services.

Perhaps they should create a private company to keep it separate, but they should retain ownership, or 51% ownership at least.

---------- Post added 13-12-2017 at 09:00 ----------

I could design the posters with the quote ' don't throw yer crap outta the window, you irresponsible twit '

I'm not a fan of people who drop litter. I think they should fine people who ' spit ' too.

Just remember that the stasi might get you on the day a fly flies into your mouth.

I regularly litterpick a one hundred yard or so stretch of the road through Unstone, and usually collect a carrier bag full each time. Cans, bottles, fag packets are the main items.