Lost over car tax changed in april2018 advise please

hi im currently inbetween cars , sold my volvo D5 and bought a focus cheap to stop gap me through the winter , i need to know whats happening to older diesel cars from april 2018 , is the tax on them going up a band or does this only apply to new diesels , im after a passat bluemotion that is currently £140 a year from april 2017 , dont know whether im best getting it before april or just save up and get something after april a bit better , the net is like a mine field any advice would be great , thanks

It's like a mine field .doesn't anything about the new tax rate from 2018 .and if it's best to buy a car around a 13 plate now or save up and get a better one after April . I need figures lol

Either way the Motorist will be shafted by the Government. I was thinking the same as you, What to do ? I eventually bought a Diesel for the cheap Road Tax.

ive got 6k towards a newer car but dont want to waste my doe if its not going to be worth nothing or were going to get ripped off , i just heard the tax bands on cars are going up , dont know if its brand new cars or older diesels after april 2018

The governments made a total mess of the tax situation, but from what I understand the new rules only effect those cars which don't meet Euro 6 and RDE step 2.

So contact VW and see if the car you're interested in meets those standards, if it does you shouldn't have extra to pay.