New business set up advise

Hello all.

Over a year ago I started to make & sell glitter glasses & gifts. I did this on ebay and facebook. 6 months later I got promoted in my main job & didn't have time for the making.

I want to start again & make a proper go of it bit don't know much about the business side.

Do I need to register as a trader/company?

Do I need insurance?

How do I keep books? just record all money in & out?

Is there anything else I need?

Thanks in advance

Kelly

Edited by freddie*

Are you based in the Sheffield City Region? If so, contact the Sheffield City Growth Hub. Otherwise have a chat with your local Chamber of Commerce.

Good luck with the venture.

Good advice from Steve.

There is a lot of advice for sole traders on HMRC. Its not in complicate jargon either. Public and product liability is a must, you have been lucky so far. There is a lot of advice on .gov website regarding legislation / regulations for products too.

Picky, I know, but sort out the difference between advice and advise. For some customers, getting the spelling wrong just grates and they look away.

If you disagree, ignore me. Your prerogative.

Picky, I know, but sort out the difference between advice and advise. For some customers, getting the spelling wrong just grates and they look away.

If you disagree, ignore me. Your prerogative.

I don't see where the op has used either word. I don't see where Steve or I have used the incorrect word either.

Edit -scrap that. I have just noticed the title.

Edited by Chez2

Ring Business Sheffield for loads of free advice inc bookkeeping, tax etc 0114 2245000

Huge free workshop programme inc a digital marketing one, and basic bookkeeping one which might also be up your street.

Thank you all for your great ADVICE. It is all really appreciated. MrChemist hands up my spelling is shocking! But rest assured my product's never suffer. I put 110% into each one. Thanks anyway