"Control" at The Showroom on Wednesday night.

Did anyone go to see "Control" at the Showroom on Wednesday night? Did you notice how bad the sound was? There was a horrible crackling sound from the left hand side speakers anytime there was any music on the soundtrack. Considering this was a Joy Division biopic, music was quite intrinsic to the movie! It totally ruined the film for me. I considered walking out. I had a word with a member of staff in the foyer about an hour into the film. He phoned through to the projectionist, who said they couldn't do anything about it.

To be fair to the staff at the Showroom, they were good enough to give us a refund after the movie. I hope they manage to sort out the problem before there are any more screenings.

yep I b!oody hope so as was gonna go tonight! :rant:

Well it didn't annoy me. Compared to the Odeon, the showroom is a breath of fresh air. The film was just a bit too long for my liking, but I loved all the period details.

If you go to the odeon and see a film it is like watching a crappy widescreen cinema with annoying little surround sound speakers which are on too loud, in someone's lounge.

At the showroom the sound of this film did suffer from crackling when the sound got louder, but I didn't notice it after about 5 minutes. The overall sound quality was very high with much clearer sound from the main speakers. But as the movie was portraying live sound of a small band I don't see how you could complain. If you go to a small gig in a sweaty hall you don't expect to hear hifi sound.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. and I was there wednesday night in the middle of the auditorium in screen 4.

On a pedantic note, I noticed that in the scene after where they played a gig in the school hall and there was a riot. The loudspeaker on it's side in the centre of the floor behind Tony Wilson as he was trying to cheer up Ian Curtis, was a trapezoidal shape. Far too modern design for a school hall in 1979! especially when the bass cabs on the sides of the stage looked like they came from kays catalogue.

Well it didn't annoy me. Compared to the Odeon, the showroom is a breath of fresh air. The film was just a bit too long for my liking, but I loved all the period details.

If you go to the odeon and see a film it is like watching a crappy widescreen cinema with annoying little surround sound speakers which are on too loud, in someone's lounge.

At the showroom the sound of this film did suffer from crackling when the sound got louder, but I didn't notice it after about 5 minutes. The overall sound quality was very high with much clearer sound from the main speakers. But as the movie was portraying live sound of a small band I don't see how you could complain. If you go to a small gig in a sweaty hall you don't expect to hear hifi sound.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. and I was there wednesday night in the middle of the auditorium in screen 4.

On a pedantic note, I noticed that in the scene after where they played a gig in the school hall and there was a riot. The loudspeaker on it's side in the centre of the floor behind Tony Wilson as he was trying to cheer up Ian Curtis, was a trapezoidal shape. Far too modern design for a school hall in 1979! especially when the bass cabs on the sides of the stage looked like they came from kays catalogue.

I hear Joy Division swore by Kays catalogue! Wouldn't shop anywhere else. I think this is what created the gloom in their music.

Did anyone go to see "Control" at the Showroom on Wednesday night? Did you notice how bad the sound was? There was a horrible crackling sound from the left hand side speakers anytime there was any music on the soundtrack. Considering this was a Joy Division biopic, music was quite intrinsic to the movie! It totally ruined the film for me. I considered walking out. I had a word with a member of staff in the foyer about an hour into the film. He phoned through to the projectionist, who said they couldn't do anything about it.

To be fair to the staff at the Showroom, they were good enough to give us a refund after the movie. I hope they manage to sort out the problem before there are any more screenings.

I went to see it at Cineworld/UGC and the sound was excellent, I suggest you go and see it there.

I noticed a couple of anomalies too.

Early on in the film outside a concrete block of flats there was one of those modern "Don't let your dog crap on the pavement" stickers. It wouldn't have been there in the 70's.

Then when Ian Curtis's child was born in hospital he went outside for a ciggie, surely he would have gone to the smoking room which every maternity hospital had on every corridor in the 1980's, usually full of nervous expectant dads busy fagging it.

Having said that the movie is superb and I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the subject matter.