Memorial tree decision - Town Hall 13/12/17

The trees planted in pavements and roadside verges are only a tiny proportion of trees in the city. Wanting the removal of some of the trees growing in pavements and roadside verges that are causing damage and obstruction isn't arguing for a sterile city free of wildlife. No "street trees" on my road and surrounding ones but no shortage of birds, foxes - even badgers - a mile from the city centre - and far more abundant then 20 years ago.

We manage quite comfortably without the oxygen produced by the deciduous trees in the entire northern hemisphere for the best part of half a year - must be another source for the bulk of the oxygen I reckon.

Big difference between 'some of the tree's though and the scale of Ameys efforts. Do you really believe, in the face of all the evidence and reports. that Amey aren't cutting down the trees they are being paid to maintain to save money? Really?

I can't wait to hear your suggestions as to what the 'other source' for the bulk of oxygen is if it isn't plants and trees!

Hold onto your seats folks, we could be looking at a scientific breakthrough here.......

The trees planted in pavements and roadside verges are only a tiny proportion of trees in the city. Wanting the removal of some of the trees growing in pavements and roadside verges that are causing damage and obstruction isn't arguing for a sterile city free of wildlife. No "street trees" on my road and surrounding ones but no shortage of birds, foxes - even badgers - a mile from the city centre - and far more abundant then 20 years ago.

We manage quite comfortably without the oxygen produced by the deciduous trees in the entire northern hemisphere for the best part of half a year - must be another source for the bulk of the oxygen I reckon.

Are you seriously trying to argue that people are campaigning against the removal of street trees because of the oxygen they produce! That's so much of a straw man that the Wizard of Oz are getting in touch!

You do understand why people are actually annoyed at the removal of trees yes?

I can't wait to hear your suggestions as to what the 'other source' for the bulk of oxygen is if it isn't plants and trees!

Hold onto your seats folks, we could be looking at a scientific breakthrough here.......

I didn't say plants and trees - just the deciduous trees in the northern hemisphere.

But the single biggest source is the ocean - or more precisely the phytoplankton in the ocean.

http://earthsky.org/earth/how-much-do-oceans-add-to-worlds-oxygen

Not a scientific breakthrough - a well known fact to people who take a little time to educate themselves rather than believe "facts" from some of the tree campaigners.

I didn't say plants and trees - just the deciduous trees in the northern hemisphere.

But the single biggest source is the ocean - or more precisely the phytoplankton in the ocean.

http://earthsky.org/earth/how-much-do-oceans-add-to-worlds-oxygen

Not a scientific breakthrough - a well known fact to people who take a little time to educate themselves rather than believe "facts" from some of the tree campaigners.

So that would be ocean PLANTS right? As I said, PLANTS.

So you're suggesting that it doesn't matter if trees are cut down in terms of oxygen production? Remarkable.

One could suggest rather than making comments about others 'taking time to educate themselves; you do the same, in relation to Amey, it's history, behaviour, and court cases. You could also look at the many, many national news articles regarding the shady contract, and the other issues around this situation. Feel free to ignore anything written by tree campaigners if you so wish, as you seem to have such a problem with them. Use other sources. There are many.

---------- Post added 15-12-2017 at 17:20 ----------

Are you seriously trying to argue that people are campaigning against the removal of street trees because of the oxygen they produce! That's so much of a straw man that the Wizard of Oz are getting in touch!

You do understand why people are actually annoyed at the removal of trees yes?

Haha! I'm not sure he/she does.

But they're still happy to argue in favour of Amey though, for some reason, yet to be divulged...

Edited by paula4sheff

So you're suggesting that it doesn't matter if trees are cut down in terms of oxygen production? Remarkable.

Well I think we'll manage comfortably without the oxygen from the 6,000 trees that have been removed - don't think I've ever suggested otherwise.

Well I think we'll manage comfortably without the oxygen from the 6,000 trees that have been removed - don't think I've ever suggested otherwise.

What a strange attitude to have.

What a strange attitude to have.

What's strange about it?

It would be far stranger for someone to argue that retaining 6,000 trees growing in footpaths and roadside verges is vital because of the oxygen they produce.

What's strange about it?

It would be far stranger for someone to argue that retaining 6,000 trees growing in footpaths and roadside verges is vital because of the oxygen they produce.

Which nobody has! You know what a straw man argument is right!?

Which nobody has! You know what a straw man argument is right!?

Go back and read posts #45 and #48.

Tell you what. All those who are defending the council and Amey, show us the contract. After all most of the money has come from Council Tax payers so surely we are entitled to see the terms of the 20+ year contract our stupid council have signed up to?

No?

Commercially sensitive? Really....a 25 year contract, with our money and we're not allowed to see it.

I'd suggest brown envelopes and bungs have been passed over, and if Dore and Co have a problem with that........SHOW US THE EFFIN CONTRACT!!!

Tell you what. All those who are defending the council and Amey, show us the contract. After all most of the money has come from Council Tax payers so surely we are entitled to see the terms of the 20+ year contract our stupid council have signed up to?

No?

Commercially sensitive? Really....a 25 year contract, with our money and we're not allowed to see it.

I'd suggest brown envelopes and bungs have been passed over, and if Dore and Co have a problem with that........SHOW US THE EFFIN CONTRACT!!!

Hallelujah brother :thumbsup:

Guest makapaka

No?

What a load of rubbish.