Derek Dooley's Birthday

It would have been his 88th Birthday today.....

Bit before my time as a player for Wednesday...63 goals in 64 games or something very similar before the tragic injury at Preston..

I remember him as manager at Hillsborough and him getting sacked on Christmas Eve...ultimately ending up at Bramall Lane taking on a variety of roles...

A true Sheffield football legend...

My mother and her sister both attended there wedding at St. Thomas,s , Wincobank . She often spoke about it. True he was a legend in the real sense, for both sides of the city.

Happy birthday Derek, hope your celebrating up there!

Met him a few times in his later years as his daughter was my parents neighbour a great pity how his times as a player and manager both ended at S6 but he was a smashing bloke.

Legend is a word that is banded about all too often , but not in this case .I don't think anyone has been, or will be, more respected by both sets of fans as he is.

Legend is a word that is banded about all too often , but not in this case .I don't think anyone has been, or will be, more respected by both sets of fans as he is.

I agree atticus tho John Harris one of the Blade's best managers in the 60's and worked with Jack Charlton at Hillsborough. Not that I intended to take owt away from Derek.

Edited by stpetre
Spell

Yes he is probably the best case as a dual fan favourite, but there were others who were well repected by some of us less hard core fans, especially in the 60's. Although I am a Wednesdayite, I was a big fan of Joe Shaw, Mick Jones Alan Hodgkinson And Tommy Fenoughty who was a year ahead of me at our school. One of my mates who was a Blades fan always liked Johnny Fantham,Johnny Quinn, Peter Swan and of course Ron Springett,

I'm sure there's a lot of people travel along Derek Dooley Way and don't have a clue who he was or what he did ..!!

Doubt any of the current generation of players or management will have a road named after them ...although "Carlos (has lost his) Way" is very apt at present ...!

A lovely bloke .Not many can say they were loved by both sets of fans but he was.A true gentleman in every way.Wish our football today was run similar to the days when Derek was playing .Players who showed what loyalty and love of a football club ment.They would play for their clubs for nowt.Unlike the foreign money grabbing play actors we have today.

---------- Post added 24-12-2017 at 11:31 ----------

You were a brilliant human a true gentleman in every sense.You are now not alone getting the sack at Christmas .