Christmas trees - where to buy 2017

JTF at Catcliffe have 6' for 9.99 and 8' for 14.99 plus VAT. We've had ours from there last three years. Never been disappointed.

just put my magnificent perfect real tree up for the 2nd year ,6ft high,cant believe my luck for only £12 at jtf,unlike the scraggy tree on the moor,did I get a great purchase? for the 2nd year.

I've just phoned the plant centre at Unstone Dronfield. The guy told me the sizes 6ft, 8ft,12ft etc. Ok. I said* how much for a* 6ft? He said I never give prices on the phone. I explained that I am in Rotherham. He just repeated, I never give prices on the phone.I said ok I 'll leave it.

Seams a strange way to deal with potential customers, or maybe it's me :hihi:

Trees are sold to make a profit, but different retailers have different ways to calculate 'profit'.

Buy a tree wholesale for £10 and sell for £50 gives a gross profit on the tree of £40, but there will be other overheads to come out of that.

Buy a tree wholesale for £10 and sell for £9.99 and there's a loss of 1p.

A few retailers sell the trees very cheaply because they're using them as loss leaders to encourage shoppers to buy other items now or later with much higher mark ups. Their profit will come from those sales.

However, many big retailers over order to some degree, and may end up reducing prices considerably to get rid of sizes they can't sell. One size may be under stocked, so there's no incentive to discount that. The nearer you get to Christmas the more discounts will be available, but the fewer choices there'll be. Unsold stocks will take retail space and cost to recycle. By Christmas Eve they may even give them away!

If prices aren't given over the phone that retailer must be happy with the business they've got from satisfied buyers who probably go back year after year. Quality and range of choice may mean more to them than price.

Garden centre at chapeltown. Get my real one for outside every year from there. Always a lovely bushy shape. 4 - 5 foot £25 worth every penny. Set of 400 LED coloured lights from B&M or Home Bargains can’t remember which, had them ages.Sorry don’t know how to put a pic on

Great place for trees,cow gap farm at dung worth.choose your own from hundreds growing in fields,all different kinds,shapes and sizes.Its a lovely place to take kids to choose your own tree and see it chopped down,nice little log cabin selling gifts and Christmas decorations and I think hot drinks.

just put my magnificent perfect real tree up for the 2nd year ,6ft high,cant believe my luck for only £12 at jtf,unlike the scraggy tree on the moor,did I get a great purchase? for the 2nd year.

Is there a scraggy Xmas tree on the Moor? That's interesting. You should mention it more often in case anyone hasn't been made aware of it before.

Seriously . .numerous places selling real trees around town. I drive past half a dozen on Abbeydale Road every night.

Trees are sold to make a profit, but different retailers have different ways to calculate 'profit'.

Buy a tree wholesale for £10 and sell for £50 gives a gross profit on the tree of £40, but there will be other overheads to come out of that.

Buy a tree wholesale for £10 and sell for £9.99 and there's a loss of 1p.

A few retailers sell the trees very cheaply because they're using them as loss leaders to encourage shoppers to buy other items now or later with much higher mark ups. Their profit will come from those sales.

However, many big retailers over order to some degree, and may end up reducing prices considerably to get rid of sizes they can't sell. One size may be under stocked, so there's no incentive to discount that. The nearer you get to Christmas the more discounts will be available, but the fewer choices there'll be. Unsold stocks will take retail space and cost to recycle. By Christmas Eve they may even give them away!

If prices aren't given over the phone that retailer must be happy with the business they've got from satisfied buyers who probably go back year after year. Quality and range of choice may mean more to them than price.

As expected, lots of sellers have trees to shift with only a few days left to move them. Some places are advertising discounts, others should be open to offers. According to National Trust at Longshaw's Facebook page they'll knock 25% off most prices. Thanks to today's weather sellers will have more left.

As next weekend approaches sellers will take almost anything to get rid!