Best way to send a parcel to Italy?

I have a parcel, of which the contents of which, are quite valuable.

The recipient says quote

2. Do NOT absolutely send the goods by the postal service, but use an international carrier, as UPS, Fedex or DHL. The Italian Post Service is very long; the goods can stay at the customs office for some months!

I assume Royal Mail will handover to the Italian post service.

Any suggestions?

Ive received things from accross the globe with fedex and UPS, fedex are easier to deal with. DPD might be worth a go as well. None of them will be cheap though - £30 odd Id guess.

Well as the buyer requests send it by the co’s he wants

Beware of sending stuff to Italy the post is Very unreliable

I recently lost £300 because a parcel i sent never arrived and got lost in the system

It was via ebay/paypal and the buyer did a chargeback with his Credit card co after 5 months

Well as the buyer requests send it by the co’s he wants

Beware of sending stuff to Italy the post is Very unreliable

I recently lost £300 because a parcel i sent never arrived and got lost in the system

It was via ebay/paypal and the buyer did a chargeback with his Credit card co after 5 months

If he's paying then FedEx. Best tracking I've found.

i once sent a very heavy audio transformer to Italy I had to fill in three sets of customs forms and only wrap the parcel loosely I used parcels2go it got there in about 7 days.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 21:11 ----------

The recipient says quote

2. Do NOT absolutely send the goods by the postal service, but use an international carrier, as UPS, Fedex or DHL. The Italian Post Service is very long; the goods can stay at the customs office for some months!

Any suggestions?

if in doubt sell with the exclusion "collection preferred but posted at buyers risk only" never had a problem since I started selling that way.

Thanks - so presumably I just go online and get quotes?

(Interesting that a couple of you jumped to the conclusion that it was an Ebay job - when it isn't).

Thanks - so presumably I just go online and get quotes?

(Interesting that a couple of you jumped to the conclusion that it was an Ebay job - when it isn't).

I dont think anybody said it was ebay!

I used these when I sent some curtains over to my apartment in Bulgaria.

https://www.worldwide-parcelservices.co.uk/

They are brokers so shop the market for you. They were extremely helpful. I had to split me parcels up in to two parcels due to value (for insurance). They also contacted the courier for me in Bulgaria as the address I had wouldn't fit the drop down boxes on the form and I wasn't sure what to enter.

I sent made to measure curtains in two boxes. They were both as big as suit cases. One weighed almost 20Kg, the other about 15kg. I could track them over land to see where they were. They took a week which was what I was quoted. There was some industrial action but our consignment wasn't delayed.

The parcels were collected from my house at the date and rough time they said they would be.

When I got there to unpack them at the other end the outer cardboard packaging was immaculate! I was well impressed and would use them again.

The value of the goods increased the cost but I thought it was good value considering how much excess luggage would cost and the facts it wouldn't be sufficiently insured that way.

The recipient says quote

Any suggestions?

Italian postal service has a bad rep. I was selling something to customers all over Europe, about 5 years back. Sent out a lot of parcels, and Italy was by far the highest percent of missing parcels, I think around 50% of parcels to Italy were lost.

Using something like UPS sounds like a very good idea, unless it's a super low value item you don't mind resending.

UPS. with out a shadow of a doubt.