Replace rotten chipboard bathroom floor

Hi everyone, sorry to be boring but could I have your advice please?

My bathroom is a vinyl floor and recently has become increasingly soft under foot. Below the vinyl is a chipboard floor which has become black and rotten so presumably eventually I will end up putting my foot through it.

My Dad has suggested that I get someone to fit some floorboards rather than chipboard and to get this sorted asap. I live in the S6 area so any advice that anyone would have would be appreciated please?

I would advise new caber chipboard floor covered with marine ply and that would be sufficient.

I would advise new caber chipboard floor covered with marine ply and that would be sufficient.

Am afraid to say the whole bathroom suite will have to taken out to fit new floor . plus toilet etc prob better to wait m whist you are ready for new suite . Hate chipboard but its sign of the times / chipboard and water dont mix so look at some thing else . You may be able to cut rotten chip board out but only a joiner would advise on that .It will have gone near bath

Edited by spider1

thanks everyone. Do you know of any local places/tradesmen that would be good to go to please? thanks

When you have sorted the floor and put new vinyl down, seal the edges with silicone so water does not get underneath it.

When you have sorted the floor and put new vinyl down, seal the edges with silicone so water does not get underneath it.

One of the problems water gets under the bath panel thats were water collects

as you get out of the bath and goes under the panel .if yous got kids who tend to splash about pull panel of ocasionaly and dry out .Dont like wooden bath panels for this reason

Edited by spider1

Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciated.

Does anyone have any advice on a possible trades person around s6 that could take a look?

thanks

Did you find anyone Mosey? We need the same thing doing (also inS6). Our usual handyman is booked up for months, so would appreciate a recommendation!

As someone has said, you will have to take bathroom suite out. Is it getting ready for replacing? If so, got to a bathroom shop that can do the lot. We found that waiting time is usually about five to eight weeks, depending on time of year.

Our floor isn't rotten but we have ply on top of floorboards to make a smooth surface to lay vinyl type floor (Karndean) on so it needs altering when we have the new bathroom in. We are having the pipes which are currently boxed in put under the floor. We are using a company we have used three times previously. They are in Worksop so you may be too far for them.

The suite is fine, but the floorboards are uneven so we want the ply down for the same reason Chez2 - good surface for lino. Might have to speak nicely to my dad to persuade him to come out of retirement!

The suite is fine, but the floorboards are uneven so we want the ply down for the same reason Chez2 - good surface for lino. Might have to speak nicely to my dad to persuade him to come out of retirement!

So long as the floor is not rotten balfour carpets will put you ply down if you buy new floor covering from them suggest cushion floor No need to take anything out they cut ply round toilet etc

Edited by spider1

Cheers spider1! Will check them out