Pret a Manger coming to Fargate

True. The mentality of much of South Yorkshire goes something like: "Who needs the likes of Gaucho, San Carlo etc when we've got Wetherspoons?" It'll be the same with Pret.

Good old Wetherspoons, where you can get totally trashed, for less, lol.:hihi: And where it's clientele can vary from pub to pub.

Guest makapaka
True. The mentality of much of South Yorkshire goes something like: "Who needs the likes of Gaucho, San Carlo etc when we've got Wetherspoons?" It'll be the same with Pret.

No - that's not true.

It's just a popular myth that people have the viewpoint.

I can just imagine the sales and marketing team at pret - awash with data and research on Sheffield - saying

"well no one in Sheffield is ever going to pay £3 for a sandwich but what the hell - lets spend £'000's on opening a brand new shop there anyway"

"well no one in Sheffield is ever going to pay £3 for a sandwich but what the hell - lets spend £'000's on opening a brand new shop there anyway"

Many shops open and then close. Running a business is hard in a city that has a large number of poor, be they students or locals. People with cash prefer the bigger choice at Meadowhall, no beggars, or people doing surveys, chuggers, all under cover, and free parking.

I was quite surprised to see Hotel Chocolat open in town, and time will tell if it stays there especially after Thorntons have reduced their number of shops.

Guest makapaka
Many shops open and then close. Running a business is hard in a city that has a large number of poor, be they students or locals. People with cash prefer the bigger choice at Meadowhall, no beggars, or people doing surveys, chuggers, all under cover, and free parking.

I was quite surprised to see Hotel Chocolat open in town, and time will tell if it stays there especially after Thorntons have reduced their number of shops.

You may be right - but for the moment I’ll trust their judgement and see how it goes.

I'm glad Hotel Chocolat opened a shop in town:nod:. I love their chocolates. But I also love Thorntons chocolates too!:D

I would say people with cash prefer Manchester or Leeds over Meadowhall and don't care about parking costs.

I would say people with cash prefer Manchester or Leeds over Meadowhall and don't care about parking costs.

I prefer to shop online and to go to town, be that Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester or Liverpool to eat and drink.

I think a lot of people seem to shop online now. Not just because of price but because of the far greater choice available on the internet. No shopping centre in the world can compete.

Guest makapaka
I prefer to shop online and to go to town, be that Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester or Liverpool to eat and drink.

I think a lot of people seem to shop online now. Not just because of price but because of the far greater choice available on the internet. No shopping centre in the world can compete.

You can’t order a Pret A Manger sandwich online though can you?

I went to Manchester the other week, and really enjoyed it!:)

Very true! Frankly I dislike Meadowhall - too narrow walkways, too many screaming kids and no fresh air!

Very true! Frankly I dislike Meadowhall - too narrow walkways, too many screaming kids and no fresh air!

I'm not a fan of it either.

I remember when we had a pret in Meadowhall years ago. Just up from the “Choux shop” that was the best cream tea you could ever get!