NUM Building development - Turtle Bay etc

I think the site was "gifted" by the Council to the NUM. I'm not sure it was ever occupied but has been an eyesore for years.

I'd love to know what the actual details of the transaction were.

yes , know that now , but as I said im sure their offices used to be on vicar lane

I thought they were in Barnsley prior to moving to Holly Lane. Didn't the council hand over a large chunk of ratepayers' money to encourage them? They might have moved to Vicar Lane because I don't think they ever moved in properly at Holly Lane.

---------- Post added 09-07-2017 at 22:02 ----------

I think the site was "gifted" by the Council to the NUM. I'm not sure it was ever occupied but has been an eyesore for years.

I'd love to know what the actual details of the transaction were.

Yes, I thought it was something like that.

Vicar Lane was the NCB Pensions building I think.

Holly Lane was to be the headquarters of either the NUM or the Yorkshire NUM who were based in Barnsley.

It coincided with the demise of Arthur Scargill so I don't think the move ever happened. My recall is somewhat hazy and I'm sure someone will know.

What I do recall perfectly is that Sheffield Taxpayer's money was used, as previous poster says.

I'd love to know the "ins and outs"

some people were back working on this on Thursday but to be honest it looks a million miles away from being ready - cant see it before next summer being honest at the slow pace they are moving at - not sure what the slowness is down to - money issues?

Vicar Lane was the NCB Pensions building I think.

Holly Lane was to be the headquarters of either the NUM or the Yorkshire NUM who were based in Barnsley.

It coincided with the demise of Arthur Scargill so I don't think the move ever happened. My recall is somewhat hazy and I'm sure someone will know.

What I do recall perfectly is that Sheffield Taxpayer's money was used, as previous poster says.

I'd love to know the "ins and outs"

Quite right cityspinner.The NCB Pensions & Insurance Branch amalgamated two offices; one at Rutland Park, off Clarkehouse Road, and the other at Chapel Walk, Fargate and occupied the top few floors of St James' House on Vicar Lane on it's completion in 1969.

The Royal Insurance Co occupied the ground floor and other companies the rest of the building.

echo.

Eat out at local restaurants - we have plenty. Don't encourage these nasty chains that send your money back to shareholders in London.

Or offshore even.

Now recruiting:

AUDITIONS HELD FOR 50 JOBS AT NEW SHEFFIELD RESTAURANT

A Caribbean restaurant and bar due to open its doors in Sheffield this summer is holding themed ‘auditions’ to recruit 50 staff members this month.

Turtle Bay is set to open in the former NUM headquarters building off Barkers Pool in the city centre in June and it will deliver themed food and drinks to a reggae soundtrack.

Work is ongoing to transform the building in a £5 million project after a legal tussle with the city council over the use of the building’s stairs to carry food was cleared up.

To attend the job event email [email protected] using the subject heading ‘Sheffield.’

"Auditions" ???

Jesus wept.

"Auditions" ???

Jesus wept.

Themed ones at that. :hihi:

Themed ones at that. :hihi:

That has just tickled me thinking about how wildly inappropriate such an audition could become.

Even dreadlocks has recently been called 'Cultural Misappropriation'

No doubt you'll be asked which is the correct phrase:

1. How is your meal Sir / Madam.

2. Hey guys, how's the food.

Sadly, 2 seems to be the norm these days in the dining "experience".