'Touch-Free' Packaging for Raw Meat

Apparently, millenials are refusing to handle raw meat, encouraging supermarkets to look at 'touch-free' packaging:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/16/sainsburys-will-sell-touch-free-packaging-people-dont-handle-raw-meat-7470648/

Considering that most of us don't kill our own food, is it hypocritical to expect someone to handle raw meat in the modern day?

Or, is it just another stick with which to beat the snowflake/millennial generation?

Apparently, millenials are refusing to handle raw meat, encouraging supermarkets to look at 'touch-free' packaging:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/16/sainsburys-will-sell-touch-free-packaging-people-dont-handle-raw-meat-7470648/

Considering that most of us don't kill our own food, is it hypocritical to expect someone to handle raw meat in the modern day?

Or, is it just another stick with which to beat the snowflake/millennial generation?

I do sometimes despair....

I used to see this a lot as a Scout leader - many of them were scared to deal with anything raw including the parents. Supplying a "feathers on" freshly shot pheasant at camp was hilarious.... They got into the spirit of it eventually..

I don't like the way raw chicken feels, its really slimy. I try and get my partner to cut it up if I can.

I'd quite happily become a vegetarian myself, but its just not practical when cooking for a fussy child, I don't have the time to cook two different meals.

I don't like the way raw chicken feels, its really slimy. I try and get my partner to cut it up if I can.

I'd quite happily become a vegetarian myself, but its just not practical when cooking for a fussy child, I don't have the time to cook two different meals.

Turkey is less slippery. Mind you "proper" chicken that hasn't had addded water feels much less slimy too. It's just not a sensation that really botheres me that much although it does others I know.

Hmm I guess I can understand that people are squeamish about raw meat, so I guess this caters to them. But that squeamishness should be across a lot of society, not just millennial's. They can't be to blame for rising number of vegans and rising meat squeamishness can they?

But, I don't really understand how a whole new package needs to be developed. I don't buy from Sainsbury's but the meat I buy is ready to rip and tip (phrase from article). You just need to make sure you are holding onto the pad under the meat so it doesn't fall in (or take it off after). It's not a massive new innovation is it?

Also, in case people didn't read the article, one quote really stood out:

"a woman said she had ‘sprayed her chicken with Dettol first before cooking it’ because she was so worried about contamination from bacteria in the uncooked meat."

dont wanna touch it...dont eat it, problem solved

I do sometimes despair....

I used to see this a lot as a Scout leader - many of them were scared to deal with anything raw including the parents. Supplying a "feathers on" freshly shot pheasant at camp was hilarious.... They got into the spirit of it eventually..

That's the value of getting kids to join organisations like the scouts. They do a grand job of educating youngsters in things like this. What a pity we can't get more kids involved, especially in the age of the computer raised 'snowflake.'

"a woman said she had ‘sprayed her chicken with Dettol first before cooking it’ because she was so worried about contamination from bacteria in the uncooked meat."

**** me, really?

I dispair. But more packaging, probably plastic, is a good thing - we really dont have enough of that in landfill, in the seas etc.

There was once something similar in a Punt and Dennis sketch on Jasper Carrot about the Eggwina Currie egg scandal, they talked about boiling your eggs in Dettol. :)

**** me, really?

I dispair. But more packaging, probably plastic, is a good thing - we really dont have enough of that in landfill, in the seas etc.

If you wipe your mouth after touching heavily contaminated meat its a valid concern, but 20 seconds soap and water is enough... and serious who does wipe their mouth whilst prepping food anyway?

Dettol though is a bit daft, and probably ineffective

---------- Post added 18-04-2018 at 13:22 ----------

That's the value of getting kids to join organisations like the scouts. They do a grand job of educating youngsters in things like this. What a pity we can't get more kids involved, especially in the age of the computer raised 'snowflake.'

Stand up and volunteer then... the problem getting them invovled as ever has always been insufficient adults :( Your local group is going to be crying out for help I would expect...

Quite frankly when I saw this a few days back I thought WTF????? In a world where complaining that there is too much plastic waste about a supermarkets first approach is to create yet more!!! Its sad and indeed a sad reflection of modern society as a whole where this is viewed as even half way acceptable!!

If you cant bear to touch the meat, dont eat it!!!!

Simples

---------- Post added 18-04-2018 at 13:25 ----------

Hmm I guess I can understand that people are squeamish about raw meat, so I guess this caters to them. But that squeamishness should be across a lot of society, not just millennial's. They can't be to blame for rising number of vegans and rising meat squeamishness can they?

But, I don't really understand how a whole new package needs to be developed. I don't buy from Sainsbury's but the meat I buy is ready to rip and tip (phrase from article). You just need to make sure you are holding onto the pad under the meat so it doesn't fall in (or take it off after). It's not a massive new innovation is it?

Yes, I noted that bit about the dettol :) TBF, it might actually improve the taste of some supermarket meat :)

the meat I buy is ready to rip and tip (phrase from article). You just need to make sure you are holding onto the pad under the meat so it doesn't fall in (or take it off after). It's not a massive new innovation is it?

Yes I don't really see the innovation?

Have they just got rid of the meat nappy?

Dettol though is a bit daft, and probably ineffective

It's absolutely moronic, but then that probably tells you all you need to know about the person that does it really.

Nowt so queer as folk