Modern Football .. Pah!

What the hell has happened to football??

For those of you over 35 years old (as am I), what do you really think about the state of modern football?

We used to have 'obstruction'. If you obstructed a player from getting to the ball using your arms, back, backside or whatever, it was an indirect free kick.

Now, it happens ten times a game and the commentator applauds the offender for 'showing good strength'. Back in the day, the player being obstructed would have put the offender on his a r s , or in the stand, but now it's considered 'quality'. Shielding the ball by using your body is a totally different scenario to stopping a player getting to a ball that 'isn't yours' in the first place.

Before a corner is taken, American style holding, blocking and shirt pulling is rife. ALL of these tactics are a penalty, and penalties should be given at least ten times a game. The ref sees these things happening, but just 'has a word'

If defenders tried this back in the 60's and 70's, they'd be going home with less teeth than they arrived with. It rarely ever happened.

Experts and commentators following a ridiculous penalty appeal view the video and come to the conclusion that 'There was contact, and he was entitled to go down' Why do these people advocate cheating and diving?

The player's only 'entitled to go down' when he has no other option. If he IS fouled with enough momentum, he HAS to go down, he can't stay on his feet. If he can stay on his feet, but chooses to go down, it's diving and should incur a 10 match ban.

Watch George Best videos if you get the chance. He often went past 3 or 4 players on a dribbling run, and probably 3 of 'em, sometimes all 4 tried to 'stop him somehow' but he rode tackle after tackle and foul after foul, and just got on with it. The refs didn't fuss too much about it either.

I have to say Messi regularly gets on with it after being scythed and chopped on numerous occasions.

Namby pamby player CR7 (great player by the way) goes down if he runs in to a gnat or a butterfly. The ref gives a foul because Ronaldo says it was. Pah!

Finally, yellow cards. Pah! Nearly all fouls result in yellow cards. Pundits analyse a slight touch on a player and rule 'That's a yellow for me'

Pah! Yellows should be for genuine naughty tackles, or for persistent offenders, or for acts like shirt pulling and 'obstruction' The more skillful players should be allowed to perform free from shirt pulling, grappling etc.

I never pulled one shirt in all my years of playing football. I have obstructed players on dozens of occasions, but I never, ever, got away with it.

The ref rightly gave a foul.

I look forward to 'Time Outs' in a few years time. The headlong rush to be more American is ruining many aspects of our great country, and our great game. It's time to put a stop to it.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

HM don't also forget the number of foul throws that are allowed to go unpunished, years ago if done the throw went to other side.

Modern football is now terrible to watch in comparison to what it once was.

Too much defending deep - parking the bus or close to it so to speak.

It closes down the space resulting in lower score lines.

Many or possibly most goals now come from set pieces.

Another problem is refs now don't allow the attacking team to take a quick free kick. It's crazy - you should be allowed to take it when you want.

The solution is what I've been saying for years - reduce the number of players from 11 to 10.

It would result in much more open play.

There are some positives to the modern game - the GK not being allowed to pick the ball up - the quick return of spare balls - red card for fouling an opponent when he has a goalscoring opportunity.

10 a side would make the game far more open and therefore better to watch.

Modern football is now terrible to watch in comparison to what it once was.

Too much defending deep - parking the bus or close to it so to speak.

It closes down the space resulting in lower score lines.

This is hardly new - Italians were playing "catenaccio" (translates as door-bolt) back in the 60's... and I'm sure we all remember "1-0 to the Arsenal".

And the comentators who never comment when the superstar does a terrible pass/shot but then say he hit it perfect and it hits the post,surely if perfect it goes in.

Dobby your an oldie like me, let's go back to the olden days, numbers 1-11 one sub and when a player is injured he goes off the pitch & play continues. Play with a ball heavier than a balloon any play acting from players they get ignored and the game goes on, let's face it how often are they really badly hurt.

Seen it in EURO 16 player gets tackled rollls 4 or 5 times, feigns death then gets up that should be a booking. Make them take proper throw ins and kick off every Saturday at 3pm, and in midweek 7:30pm.

Take all the stupid sponsorship off shirts; so attractive for fans to buy, without feeling like a walking billboard. Just the captain talks to ref and they shake hands at the end of a game not before, it's like a girl guides convention they'll be snogging next.

You can pass back to GK and he can pick it up, only hold it for 4 seconds then has to get rid. Today's game is full of overpaid Jessie's who fall over at the slightest contact, that's what I've liked about EURO 16 refs have said no foul and played on, every time Ronaldo loses the ball or gets tackled, he claims a foul the man is a disgrace, it's as if he thinks he's got a god given right not to be tackled.

It's all about keeping possession,which England are not very good at.

We used to try to pass the ball forward for a player to run on to.

Now there are so many passes behind the player that there is little forward momentum.

It's not unusual for the ball to start on the half way line and to finish up back in your own penalty area ,all in the name of possession.

It's boring and frustrating.

Have to agree with what has already been posted, the young generation may critisice us for our political views,but we certainly know our football.

And you can't tackle now but can hug and hold everyone in the area when corners are being taken.

The standard of most of our players is not what we thought. We are mesmerised by the Premier league, at times it is more like a wrestling match with referees allowing it to happen.

The players are overated and overplayed and we're completely shown up for what they are in the Euros.

Dobby your an oldie like me, let's go back to the olden days, numbers 1-11 one sub and when a player is injured he goes off the pitch & play continues. Play with a ball heavier than a balloon any play acting from players they get ignored and the game goes on, let's face it how often are they really badly hurt.

Seen it in EURO 16 player gets tackled rollls 4 or 5 times, feigns death then gets up that should be a booking. Make them take proper throw ins and kick off every Saturday at 3pm, and in midweek 7:30pm.

Take all the stupid sponsorship off shirts; so attractive for fans to buy, without feeling like a walking billboard. Just the captain talks to ref and they shake hands at the end of a game not before, it's like a girl guides convention they'll be snogging next.

You can pass back to GK and he can pick it up, only hold it for 4 seconds then has to get rid. Today's game is full of overpaid Jessie's who fall over at the slightest contact, that's what I've liked about EURO 16 refs have said no foul and played on, every time Ronaldo loses the ball or gets tackled, he claims a foul the man is a disgrace, it's as if he thinks he's got a god given right not to be tackled.

The tackle by Payat ? on Ronaldo that put him out of the game last night was cynical and a disgrace , the ref turned a blind eye and that tackle spoiled the match.

Wednesday have had the same treatment this year especially the tackles from behind on Fossi .

Tackles that can ruin a skillful forwards career and in Fossi"s case his reputation by being called a cheat for diving.

Yeah,I agree the 'tackle' on Ronaldo was really bad.

When you 'tackle' an opponent full on at that speed its obviously pretty dangerous.

The more I see it - the more it looks like an assault on Ronaldo.