New data protection laws 25th May 2018

Ebay are refusing to delete my account, will the new laws on 25th May this year relating to data protection mean they have no choice.

Ebay have stated it’s because my seller standard is below average which I cannot improve as I will not sell or buy on EBay again and was caused by a buyer ripping me off and Ebay giving me no protection.

Ebay are refusing to delete my account, will the new laws on 25th May this year relating to data protection mean they have no choice.

Ebay have stated it’s because my seller standard is below average which I cannot improve as I will not sell or buy on EBay again and was caused by a buyer ripping me off and Ebay giving me no protection.

Ebay are perfectly correct in their interpretation of current and future legislation.

It's not May 25th yet, try again in a few months.

Again, see the link on current UK law. Apparently it all depends on why a company has data stored about you?

https://www.quora.com/Under-UK-law-can-you-demand-that-a-company-delete-your-details-from-their-database

From what I understand from news reports, any company that currently holds data on you, will have to contact you & ask if you're OK with it? If you say no, then they'll have to delete it.

Presumably ebay will argue that a negative seller reputation is similar to a bad credit report.

When companies hold your details for other reasons, the situation is not quite as clear.

The general principle is that a company must have a good reason to have your details on file, and must delete them if that reason no longer applies. If they do have a good reason, though, then you don't have an automatic right to demand they delete your records. It depends on the circumstances.

To give an obvious example, if you default on a loan, then the bank will record that information in your file. You can't demand that your file be deleted to give you a perfect credit score and allow you to take out another loan!

Yes, a strange co-incidence that appears at the same time.

eBay has locked me into undeletable Catch-22 trap, complains biz bod

A businessman has accused online tat bazaar eBay of trapping him in a Catch-22 style data retention loop after blocking him from deleting his company’s account on the site.

Richard Stebbings, owner of transit box biz Panzer Cases, told us eBay was refusing to delete his account by implementing odd rules – which may put it into conflict with the EU’s forthcoming General Data Protection Regulation.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/12/ebay_account_deletion_impossible_catch22/

I read that earlier and wondered if it related to this thread.

More about the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation):

ICO Guide https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/

GDPR itself: see first external link mentioned in the Guide.

But here's some of the GDPR 'guidance' that I read:

The first step is auditing the information held by your firm. Data mapping in this way (by documenting the data you hold, where it came from and who you share it with) should enable you to carry out a gap analysis to determine the key technical and organisational measures (internal governance and controls) you need to take to comply with your responsibilities for the data you process. The GDPR’s accountability requirement means that you should then take these measures and be able to demonstrate that you have done so (see Article 24).

Let’s try that in English, shall we? Try this instead:

Your firm should:

a. assess the data held, its sources, and with whom it is shared;

b. decide what it needs to do in complying with the GDPR; and

c. ensure that it can prove compliance.

If you're a consumer or a business operating within the EU then it doesn't really.

Facebook can move users who aren't in the EU to a none EU 'business' and it doesn't apply, but that's not the case for most companies.