Is the population/courty getting richer?

The top 3 in 2010:

1 (1) Lakshmi Mittal and family, steel, £22,450 million, up 108 per cent

2 (2) Roman Abramovich, oil and industry, £7,400 million, up six per cent

3 (3) Duke of Westminster, property, £6,750 million, up four per cent

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/7624159/Sunday-Times-Rich-List-2010-Britains-richest-see-wealth-rise-by-one-third.html

The top 3 in 2017:

1. Sri and Gopi Hinduja, £16.2billion

2. Len Blavatnik, £15.9billion

4. Lakshmi Mittal and family, £13.2billion

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/these-are-the-10-richest-people-in-the-uk/

That's not bad for one family is it? UP from 22 Million to 13 Billion in 7 years.

And in case you were wondering, Roman Abramovic is now worth 12.9 Billion, and new Duke of Westminster, Hugh Grosvenor, age 26, is now worth 9.52 Billion. Shows what hard work (and, oh yes, a title, can do....)

And yet the rich aren't getting richer...? :roll:

Edited by Anna B

That's not bad for one family is it? UP from 22 Million to 13 Billion in 7 years.

And in case you were wondering, Roman Abramovic is now worth 12.9 Billion, and new Duke of Westminster, Hugh Grosvenor, age 26, is now worth 9.52 Billion. Shows what hard work (and, oh yes, a title, can do....)

Maybe take another read of those numbers if I were you....

Firstly, £22,450 million is £22.4billion - so the Lakshmi Mittal family actually lost 9 billion in 7 years.

That aside, I don't think anybody has claimed that the rich aren't getting richer, although trying to extrapolate anything from just the top 3 wealthiest people in Britain is of course pointless.

I suppose it all depends on how you measure wealth. The country's economy may be "bigger" than ever in terms of money in circulation? Or number of people in jobs, or goods sold.

But it's been a lot harder for my children in terms of jobs, disposable income and house buying than it ever was for me.

I suppose it depends on how young they are. Ours are far better off, with better incomes and larger houses than we ever had. Our grandchildren are having a more affluent upbringing than their parents did.