NUM Building development - Turtle Bay etc

Well technically you could argue the correct greeting should be "waa gwaan"

but then maybe you've taken your "Audition" abit too seriously??

Vicar Lane was the NCB Pensions building I think.

Holly Lane was to be the headquarters of either the NUM or the Yorkshire NUM who were based in Barnsley.

It coincided with the demise of Arthur Scargill so I don't think the move ever happened. My recall is somewhat hazy and I'm sure someone will know.

What I do recall perfectly is that Sheffield Taxpayer's money was used, as previous poster says.

I'd love to know the "ins and outs"

St James' House on Vicar Lane was the NUM's temporary headquarters from April 1983 until the new HQ was built. It was provided by the Council.

Holly Street was the National NUM HQ, but only for a few years.

It was reported by Peter Hetherington in the Guardian of 15 April 1983 that the NUM had explored move options with various councils (as lots of large organisations looking to move do) and chose Sheffield because it was the best offer: South Yorkshire County Council and Sheffield Council offering £500,000 in grants, plus £20,000 from the council towards the cost of employing 20 new staff (some London staff had opted for voluntary redundancy rather than move north). SYCC was paying £300,000 towards the establishment of a public mining library and archive.

The freehold of the building site was given to the NUM, when the land was sold to them, contrary to usual policy.

It opened I think in 1989, but was only used for five years before moving to Barnsley.

A dispute with city planners, however, meant that the building never had a front entrance - access was only through the underground carpark.

Edited by Dannyno

So the council just handed the Mining Union over a million quid in freebies and sweetheart deals for absolutely <removed>-all benefit to the city??

Edited by nikki-red

Not a million, no.

£300K for the library/archives for SYCC, £200K from Sheffield Council's special employment fund. £20K towards employing local staff.

So just over half a million from both sources.

You could add in the temporary accommodation costs if you wanted.

Not a million, no.

£300K for the library/archives for SYCC, £200K from Sheffield Council's special employment fund. £20K towards employing local staff.

So just over half a million from both sources.

You could add in the temporary accommodation costs if you wanted.

I'm glad you made it quite clear that no tax-payer money was ever wasted there.

I haven't given an opinion, I've just provided factual information.