Firwood Cottage, Reopening as The Blind Monkey

The Blind Monkey is well under refurbishment and renovation and shall be open April/May. You can sign up to our website for future updates at our website theblindmonkey.co.uk or like our facebook page @blindmonkeysheff

Only one week to go until the official opening of The Blind Monkey in what used to be The Firwood Cottage.

Hopefully it will cement Walkley as a bit of a destination for drinkers. I can see a pretty good pub crawl including The Blake, The Monkey, Walkley Beer Company, and hopefully the library in future.

The Closed Shop and Hallamshire are only a step away as well.

I'm excited, it might become my new "local".

Don't forget to use your old local or it could close down

According to there Facebook page it reopens on the 27th.

Well said..

The Firwood Cottage closed down - because it was rubbish. Like a lot of old Walkley pubs it failed to keep up with what people want these days. I went in once and it was dreadful, so I never went again, even though I lived nearby for many years. I wasn't going to 'use my local' just because it was near.

Luckily someone took it over and has kept it as a pub.The new place sounds much more like the kind of place I would regularly visit. Good luck to them.

The Firwood Cottage closed down - because it was rubbish. Like a lot of old Walkley pubs it failed to keep up with what people want these days. I went in once and it was dreadful, so I never went again, even though I lived nearby for many years. I wasn't going to 'use my local' just because it was near.

Luckily someone took it over and has kept it as a pub.The new place sounds much more like the kind of place I would regularly visit. Good luck to them.

It was NOT ‘rubbish’ it just wasn’t your cup of tea. And I think there’s a clue in the name of the ‘local’ pub. To me if you have to drive or get a taxi to a pub, it isn’t your ‘local’.

Official opening tomorrow here is the story of the transformation

A great transformation and I hope the venture is a big success.

They had a VIP opening on Tuesday. I went past and it was rammed. The selection of whiskies looks impressive but I'm more interested in the beer. Think I'll call in on Saturday to see what they are serving, hopefully something a bit more interesting that the Bradfield Bitter they've already announced.

They had a VIP opening on Tuesday. I went past and it was rammed. The selection of whiskies looks impressive but I'm more interested in the beer. Think I'll call in on Saturday to see what they are serving, hopefully something a bit more interesting that the Bradfield Bitter they've already announced.

I'll be in on Saturday arvo too, and have similar hopes re. the beer!