House sellers -Have you done a HOUSE DOCTOR makeover

I have my property on the market but it isnt getting any interest. It could be a little over priced but it may also need some sprucing up.

Has anyone ever given their house the House Doctor treatment if it hasnt sold? Looking at my property on right move it doesnt really stand out and maybe it does need a coat of paint in a couple of rooms to bring it up to date.

I have looked on Pinterest at upcycled kitchens and living rooms and it is amazing what a coat of paint can do.

Do you have any experience of updating colour schemes and then selling?

I have my property on the market but it isnt getting any interest. It could be a little over priced but it may also need some sprucing up.

Has anyone ever given their house the House Doctor treatment if it hasnt sold? Looking at my property on right move it doesnt really stand out and maybe it does need a coat of paint in a couple of rooms to bring it up to date.

I have looked on Pinterest at upcycled kitchens and living rooms and it is amazing what a coat of paint can do.

Hi, do you have a link and maybe we can offer some advice?

If you post a link to the property I would be happy to give some advice. I've renovated and sold two properties at a good profit (without wanting to sound cocky).

One thing I'd say is that the obsession with neutral magnolias etc that has traditionally been advised is often a mistake. People like homes with character - light and medium greys are very popular at the moment with splashes of yellow in the accessories. I would suggest going with block colours on walls too rather than patterns and wallpapers, and avoid the dreaded feature walls.

One good thing about dressing a home with accessories is that you get to take them with you but they'll help the overall impression a potential buyer has of your house.

I suppose it depends on how bad you house is in the first place. I did a bit of a touch up on our last house. It was well decorated anyway in fairly neutral colours but we had the heating on a lot in winter and you could see a few marks on the walls and ceilings, we don't smoke so it wasn't bad. We emulsion the walls in two rooms but didn't do the paintwork.

Our house was fairly neutral, pale grey, pale blue of cream walls with plain carpets. Our stair carpet was looking a bit worn so I bought an inexpensive one. I don't like much clutter about but I did remove even more ornaments to make it less personal.

We sold all three of our houses quickly. two in times of low prices / slow market.

As other have said, can you post photos or a link to your house so we can give advice?

unfortunately sometimes "a quick makeover" wont have the desired effect, people nowadays can see through a layer of paint and flowers in the house, buyers are more savvy and look into the structure and layout which is not as cheap to makeover.

we do complete renovations now and get very good returns and sales usually on the first day of viewings, make do and mend properties hang around for ages.

unfortunately sometimes "a quick makeover" wont have the desired effect, people nowadays can see through a layer of paint and flowers in the house, buyers are more savvy and look into the structure and layout which is not as cheap to makeover.

we do complete renovations now and get very good returns and sales usually on the first day of viewings, make do and mend properties hang around for ages.

Anything will sell quickly at the right price. Knowing your target market is key. Not everyone is looking for the same this but you have to make it appeal to as many people as possible. Make sure you don't overspend above the market limit for your house, we moved for that reason.

Link to house

https://www.haybrook.com/buying/2-bedroom-house-for-sale/sheffield-south-yorkshire-s36/hay031172253/

I think it is all a bit too neutral and I agree it would be better with some greys or other colours. I also think some furniture and pictures on the walls would be better. it does need some personality injecting into it. Yes, the layout may not be to everyones liking as the bathroom is downstairs.

Any ideas what I could do with the tiles in the kitchen? I am thinking of painting the cupboard doors and buying new handles.

Put some furniture in and dress it, kitchen could do with a fridge freezer in the gap and a dining table

Looks a nice house, some people don't have the vision on how it could look furnished,

You could also look at changing your estate agent and have an open day, we went to one in chapletown a few weeks ago, there must have been 10 couples who went and it sold that day for the asking price.

Link to house

https://www.haybrook.com/buying/2-bedroom-house-for-sale/sheffield-south-yorkshire-s36/hay031172253/

I think it is all a bit too neutral and I agree it would be better with some greys or other colours. I also think some furniture and pictures on the walls would be better. it does need some personality injecting into it. Yes, the layout may not be to everyones liking as the bathroom is downstairs.

Any ideas what I could do with the tiles in the kitchen? I am thinking of painting the cupboard doors and buying new handles.

a little overpriced if i am truthful, £99k guide price to start it off, doesnt look a lot wrong, i would remove the drawers in the bedrooms and change the wallpaper between the wardrobes.

3 coats of white satinwood on the bath panel. Other than that it looks fine to me. It's just pricing and finding your buyer.

---------- Post added 18-09-2017 at 08:01 ----------

Put some furniture in and dress it, kitchen could do with a fridge freezer in the gap and a dining table.

I disagree with all of that. You've decluttered pretty well. Lose any pictures and drawers etc. Then people can see it as potentially THEIR house rather than giving them more things to dislike.

Yes definitely the bath panel needs painting.

Not everyone can see the potential of an empty house.

I did let someone live in the house for a few months and it did look different when furniture etc was in, much more cosy.

I had a viewer to show round as the estate agent could not do an evening view. I was asked, where the furniture had been in the living room and the kitchen andthat is why I wondered about some furniture.

Edited by kipling

Link to house

I think it is all a bit too neutral and I agree it would be better with some greys or other colours.

Neutral is best when selling a house, personal colour choices can put some people off.

As it is the place looks great, it just might be the price thats not helping.