Streetlaw Employment Event

The Streetlaw group consist of a number of third year Sheffield Hallam Students. As part of our module we decided to host an employment fair.

The event will be on the 27th March 2015 and will be held at Sheffield Hallam City Campus in The Owen Building. The day will run from 11:30 till 2:30 and will consist of a Q&A session, CV skills, a discussion on how to tackle social media whilst looking for employment, a presentation on education and a mock interview to round off the day.

For more information please find the event of Facebook - Streetlaw Employment Fair

or email [email protected]

Please please teach your undergrads not to do this (blind copied to every man and their dog!)

"Dear sir,

I am graduating in xxx. If you have any employment opportunities, could you let me know"

Or words to that effect. You will be amazed the number of design graduates who send this to us...like I, as an employer am:

1. Employing a graduate for their benefit...I am not, I'm employing them for the business' benefit

2. Keeping a record of everyone who applies for a job on the off chance I might want to employ them

Specifically for your product design graduates. I hide job applications on our website. Reason being that we highly value research skills...so if they cannot be bothered to do their research, then why would I want to employ them (it's the same reason why we never use agencies as well).

Getting a graduate job is highly competitive, so getting a good degree is no longer good enough (unlike in my day...I got an average degree but still had the choice of 5 graduate jobs when I left university); it's about selling your benefits to an employer...but make absolutely sure the benefits you will bring are benefits that an employer will want (which comes back to the research piece again).

I hope your event is well attended and wish your undergraduates every success in their exams and job hunting.