Pay slip query - paid too much?

I am a newly qualified teacher and have been working at a school since September. I was initially hired through the supply agency and got paid weekly through them until February half term. After this the school gave me a temporary contract until the end of August this year.

I have just received my first pay slip and have to say I was surprised to see I had been paid so much money - especially since I was told the start date of my contract was after half term (meaning I wouldn't get paid for the February half term?) I have never been told what my annual salary was and have not received a written temporary contract so I am unsure what it actually is. I doubt that the money I have been paid is correct for an NQT. Could I have been put on a higher pay spine or is this most likely an error? I would be surprised if the council/HR would make such a big error but like I say I have never received confirmation of what my actual annual salary is.

Can they make you pay the extra money back if it is their error?

They won't make you pay any real money back, but they will just adjust your pay to get it back. This may result in the pay packet they sort it out in being very much smaller than usual so I would save what you think you have been overpaid until you can check what your salary is.

You should be able to do this easily - get it in writing.

Good luck - hopefully your pay is correct!

Surely you should have gotten a written contract!

Did you not discuss your salary?

Without the contract then I'm not sure what you can do. Doubt if they can adjust your pay if they've given you nothing in writing.

Strongly recommend getting a written contact ASAP.

Written contracts are a bit lax in the school I am at. I know of a teacher at his other school (we have an exec head who manages us) that has only just got her permanent contract in writing despite working at the school for 3 years.

Could HR provide me with a written contract if I ring and ask or is it the school's duty to do this?

---------- Post added 14-03-2015 at 12:48 ----------

I did not discuss my salary as I just assumed I would start on the bottom of the pay spine which is the norm for NQTs.

important to get a written contract. try to get it from the HR.

aaand pintsized, for the important role that teachers play.... you are worth that pay and more !! all the best :-)

Is it just your school or is it at schools in general?

Can the board of governors be of any assistance?

I don't expect you to name the school but are you free to state what type of school it is?

The school I am in is a state school but we are in the process of becoming an academy.

Could HR provide me with a written contract if I ring and ask or is it the school's duty to do this?

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Don't know who's responsible for your salary however is HR not within the school or is it elsewhere?

Normally, HR would supply contract.

Anyway, if you've been paid more than expected then you must be doing a good job!

Maybe they're in need of some Business Management.

No, HR is not within the school. I'm hoping it is right as it would be nice to receive good news for a change. As others have said, I will have to speak to the office on Monday and find out!

I was overpaid due to a error by my boss, who even told me I wasn't overpaid when i questioned it. I still had to pay the money back. I just negotiated a very small amount of money to pay back per month.

You can calculate your scale point by multiplying your "basic pay" by twelve.

Check that you have the correct tax code. You may have received a tax rebate or worse you may have not been taxed on the assumption you had not worked previously.

Check your pension and NI contributions.

Ask your Union rep.

Whatever you do don't spend it. There are plenty of examples of people being accidentally overpaid and having to pay every penny back. If the money has been paid in error it isn't yours and you don't have a leg to stand on.