Insane 'to do' lists - tips

You know some days those lists that keep getting added to, and you think your heads going to explode?

Anyone care to share any tips on keeping focused and getting back on track when it gets overwhelming?

Have used a lot of different methods..

I tend to use the do it tomorrow method. Which means as stuff which is not urgent gets added, you put in on tomorrows schedule.

The issue is, it can cause a pile up of 'urgent' tasks which you then have to prioritise.

This is just a personal method. When you have tasks passed on say by a client or boss, it becomes even more complicated! so I'd like to hear your thoughts...systems, methods...

Edited by ubermaus

Delegate the absolutely non essential/urgent tasks to your team. This allows you to stay focused on what really matters in your business.

I would take on board exactly what Steve says. I can assure you he delegates everything and then spends all Fridays looking at the football for the weekend whilst keeping an eye on Cheltenham :)

Cheers Steve...I'm actually listening to the racing on Radio 5 Live :hihi:

Delegate the absolutely non essential/urgent tasks to your team. This allows you to stay focused on what really matters in your business.

With respect Steve, watching the sport is not a system. That's just work-evasion or working smart not hard, one of the two lol.

Edited by ubermaus

You know some days those lists that keep getting added to, and you think your heads going to explode?

Anyone care to share any tips on keeping focused and getting back on track when it gets overwhelming?

I tend to use the do it tomorrow method. Which means as stuff which is not urgent gets added, you put in on tomorrows schedule.

The issue is, it can cause a pile up of 'urgent' tasks which you then have to prioritise.

This is just a personal method. When you have tasks passed on say by a client or boss, it becomes even more complicated! so I'd like to hear your thoughts...systems, methods...

Leaving stuff until tomorrow is building up problems. I do things straight away or as far in advance as possible. As I am organised there isn't usually anything too pressing if something urgent crops up. I write lists for business and my own personal life too. I cross jobs off the list when I have done them.

When I go on holiday my things are usually ready well in advance. It is all packed two weeks before I go away and all on a list so I know what we need and what I have packed.

It should be obvious which work tasks you can do first but I do change things round a bit. I get lots of emails, a lot are just incoming advertising junk. I scan my emails first so I can delete junk. I get bookings and other urgent stuff done first then see what I have left. I get lots of small easy jobs done so I can then spend time on more complicated things.

A lot of my jobs have been multi tasking so it doesn't bother me to keep breaking off and swapping jobs. If I do need to concentrate I try to plan to do those jobs when I am least likely to get interrupted.

Hire an apprentice ;O

Leaving stuff until tomorrow is building up problems. I do things straight away or as far in advance as possible. As I am organised there isn't usually anything too pressing if something urgent crops up. I write lists for business and my own personal life too. I cross jobs off the list when I have done them.

When I go on holiday my things are usually ready well in advance. It is all packed two weeks before I go away and all on a list so I know what we need and what I have packed.

It should be obvious which work tasks you can do first but I do change things round a bit. I get lots of emails, a lot are just incoming advertising junk. I scan my emails first so I can delete junk. I get bookings and other urgent stuff done first then see what I have left. I get lots of small easy jobs done so I can then spend time on more complicated things.

A lot of my jobs have been multi tasking so it doesn't bother me to keep breaking off and swapping jobs. If I do need to concentrate I try to plan to do those jobs when I am least likely to get interrupted.

I'm a list person too. I write lists and spreadsheets for everything including finance, business, personal, food, activity, basically anything I want to get done I write lists and forecasts. Bit sad but helps tremendously.

What really bugs me is putting stuff off, yet I always almost never complete the to do list.

What I've started doing literally this week is putting less on the list. Say 5 things per do per day. Then at the top of the week have maybe 4 or 5 major things I want to accomplish this week. Lets' See if that works better.

In principle, I try to plan no more than 50% of my available time. This allows for new "urgent to-dos" to be added in, and still achieve deadlines.

In practice, this doesn't work all the time, as new "urgent to-dos" dont appreciate my planning and turn up, in any quantity, unannounced! :hihi:

My main rule is to give everything a deadline, no matter how small the task. If I meet it, I win :D

*I invariably do, as I am fairly competitive!*

My mantra is - do the worst first. So you can get the difficult jobs out of the way, whilst you're still fresh.