Children learning to cycle in sheffield

We went (by car) to Rother Valley Country Park and hired a bicycle for a nine-year old to begin to learn to cycle. There was plenty of grass for her first tries, and it went well.

We now want to try again, this time not going by car, and it seems there is no bus going into the park, only one that gives you a fairly long walk from the nearest main road.

So, looking closer to home, is there somewhere in Sheffield where you can hire a child's bicycle and enjoy grass or easy cycle paths and no traffic ?

Broomhill.

F

Buy something second hand and then go to Bingham Park and/or Endcliffe Park.

Nice cycle path at Bingham.

Further afield but probably not much further than Rother Valley, try Monsal Trail, bike hire and a great cafe at Hassop right on the trail. It's a disused converted railway line. Find it on Google.

Edited by Bargepole23

Forge Valley school have a cycle track and you can borrow/hire bikes. I also think they have free sessions Monday - Wednesdays during the school holidays.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Just to complete the picture, so far.

We went to Rother Valley Country Park twice, then on the Monsal Trail, and today to Fairholmes at Ladybower. This has given our nine-year old enough experience to become fairly steady and confident on a bicycle.

In a way, the next stage is harder - to decide whether or not to GET a bicycle, given that cycling on the roads in Sheffield is a tall order for a child, and cycling on the pavement is unfair on pedestrians. But at least she is now equipped to enjoy cycling on special occasions out of town, on some of the cycle-friendly trails in this area.

Just to complete the picture, so far.

We went to Rother Valley Country Park twice, then on the Monsal Trail, and today to Fairholmes at Ladybower. This has given our nine-year old enough experience to become fairly steady and confident on a bicycle.

In a way, the next stage is harder - to decide whether or not to GET a bicycle, given that cycling on the roads in Sheffield is a tall order for a child, and cycling on the pavement is unfair on pedestrians. But at least she is now equipped to enjoy cycling on special occasions out of town, on some of the cycle-friendly trails in this area.

Would anybody have a problem with a 9 year old riding their bike on the pavement? I certainly wouldn't.

Would anybody have a problem with a 9 year old riding their bike on the pavement? I certainly wouldn't.

As a cyclist myself, people cycling on pavements really gets me annoyed as it gives us all a bad name (as well as red light jumpers), but I doubt even I would object to a child pootling along on the pavement if they were in control of their bike.

As a cyclist myself, people cycling on pavements really gets me annoyed as it gives us all a bad name (as well as red light jumpers), but I doubt even I would object to a child pootling along on the pavement if they were in control of their bike.

As am I, and couldn't agree more on the red light jumpers.