Those 'Person A is on this bus' adverts

Does anyone else find the adverts on the back of buses about the marketing stereotypes that may or may not be on it really irritating?

You know the ones.

Gavin loves crosswords. He's just got to get 7 across and he'll have finished the one in today's paper. Gavin is on this bus. Why aren't you?

Shobna is worrying about whether her top matches her skirt. At least she isn't worrying about where to park. Shobna is on this bus. Why aren't you?

That sort of thing.

There used to be one about old ladies chatting, to which the obvious answer is that Edna jabbering on about the price of fish and taking forever to find her purse - inevitably at the bottom of her shopping-bag-on-wheels - is part of the reason I'm not on the bus. I don't see that one very often anymore though, I guess the focus groups said the same.

Anyway - is it just me that is annoyed by them? The message seems to be 'you've not even considered the bus as an option, you idiot. Justify yourself.'

The answers to the question, if anyone from the bus company is reading, and actually wants an answer are:

1) it's cheaper to go in the car

2) it's quicker to go in the car

3) it's more convenient to go in the car

4) most of your drivers are not, shall we say, 'customer focussed'

Address some or all of those problems, and I'll gladly join the gossiping old ladies, the crossword obsessed single men and the vain young women on the bus.

Couldn't agree more.. the reasons I'm not on a bus is because I spent years on and off learning to drive and I have a car...I'd rather use it! Simple.

My car won't be late

My car won't not turn up at all

My car doesn't smell

The one about "Mandy loves her soaps and she's chatting to her friend Keely about last nights Corrie, you could be listening to their inane prattle if you were on this bus" sums up why I don't use them.

Well that and the moaning and performing you get by the time you've got the big mower into pram bay, your chainsaws and hedgecutters secured on the luggage rack and the hand tools stowed on the back seat.

I have yet to see 'Danny has downloaded a musical abomination. He's listening to it on his tiny mobile speakers. You could be exasperated by the 'tsss tss tsss' noise if you were on this bus' advert, but I presume it must exist.

Buses are OK. The biggest problem with buses is... the other people.

I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with them (although there often is)... it's just their presence.

But I don't get annoyed by Shobna doing what she is doing, though. After all, if she is worrying about whether her top matches her skirt, she is probably on the lookout for a man and she needs to look her best - especially if she wants a man who has a car... so that she can avoid getting on the bus.

Perhaps the advertisements might be more life-like?

"Herbert is sprawled across two seats, listening to his headphones on maximum volume (so other passengers cannot hear themselves think) whilst annoyingly talking non-stop to his mates on a mobile telephone. Herbert is on this bus. That's why you aren't."

I like to let Gavin enjoy his crossword waiting for the bus in the rain while I pass him in warm comfort, arriving at my destination much before

Buses are OK. The biggest problem with buses is... the other people.

I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with them (although there often is)... it's just their presence.

But I don't get annoyed by Shobna doing what she is doing, though. After all, if she is worrying about whether her top matches her skirt, she is probably on the lookout for a man and she needs to look her best - especially if she wants a man who has a car... so that she can avoid getting on the bus.

The main problem is the cost. I actually would get the bus if the disadvantages (flexibility, comfort, convenience etc.) were offset by it being cheaper than driving. Sadly it's not.

I like to let Gavin enjoy his crossword waiting for the bus in the rain while I pass him in warm comfort, arriving at my destination much before

:hihi::hihi:

Why is it cheaper to go by car, when you might have to pay for parking? And also on Stagecoach you can buy what is called a Day Rider for £3.20 for the entire day. I used this the other week to travel to Dronfield from Sheffield and back and then to Woodhouse and back - all for £3.20. The mileage was something like 30 miles. In a car that would cost you nearer to £6.00. And with a ticket like the Day Rider and others like it, you can travel on as many buses as you like in a day all for as little as £3.20. You meet people instead of being "locked" in your own little ant-social world like millions of other drivers too. :)

Edited by Joe9T

Eddie's been drinking all afternoon. He's just groped the girl sitting next to him and thrown up onto the seat in front. Now he's going to abuse the family behind him. Eddie's on this bus. Why aren't you?